Finally part of the crew! A couple thoughts and Q's. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, thanks to your kindness and patience in answering my pre-purchase questions, I am now the proud owner of a 2012 GX460 Premium in Fire Agate Pearl. I was sold on the color when I saw a few pictures of it and immediately began looking for one. I finally found one about 12 hours away and bought it and had it delivered last week. I had never even been inside a GX460 until it arrived!

So far, I'm really liking it. Taking a bit of getting used to after driving my '08 Sequoia for so long. I'm trying to figure out all the features and nuances - so that's always fun!

I'm a lights and buttons kind of guy, so I'm loving the switches and all the fancy lighting!

So, a few things I could use more help with:

1. I want to get rid of the soccer mom vibe. I'd like to get some more aggressive tires. I see the 17" TRD Pro wheels are a popular choice with some KO'2 or something similar.

Here's the thing - I'm not much of an off-roader at this time. I don't plan on doing any major off-roading in the foreseeable future. AND - I actually like the adjustable suspension, so I really don't want to do a lift at this time - maybe down the road a bit.

So, is the best path to get 17" wheels and tires that I can always add beefier tires to down the road should I lift it, but just go smaller for now?

2. What else can I do to take it from more of a "luxury" look to a more aggressive or "manly" look?

3. Any mods that you really love that you feel are must-dos?

Thanks again for all your advice and support!
IMG_2498.jpeg
IMG_2499.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
There are two reasons you might want to go with 17" wheels. First off, for off road use the additional sidewall offered by smaller wheels is a good thing, allowing for more "cush" for aired-down tires to wrap around rocks and such, not to mention a more comfortable ride. Second, 17" tires are cheaper than 18".

But honestly, if you aren't going off road you might just want to go with the wheels you have, unless you just want to change the look.

There are two reasons you might want to go with 17" wheels. First off, for off road use the additional sidewall offered by smaller wheels is a good thing, allowing for more "cush" for aired-down tires to wrap around rocks and such, not to mention a more comfortable ride. Second, 17" tires are cheaper than 18".

But honestly, if you aren't going off road you might just want to go with the wheels you have, unless you just want to change the look.
Good points. Yes, I guess part of it is to change the look. I've thought about plastic-dipping the OEM wheels and getting a more aggressive tire, but I feel like it might now look as nice as the 17" with more rubber. Hmm...

1. Yes, do what you suggest. A good, high quality all season, all terrain tire leaning more towards road performance would be good. I've had great luck with Nitto Terra Grapplers on and off road.

2. No, they're just kinda ghey looking stock... Just kidding, kinda... Some slider steps or Prado rocker covers while ditching the steps altogether (if you can, depending on family and passenger needs) kinda toughens it up. But that's a lot of time and effort and money just for looks. The 17's will do a lot.

3. Best bang for the buck mod even if you don't off road is a Pedal Commander throttle controller. You'll love it every. time. you. drive.

Good lookingb rig, BTW.

I also upgraded the low beams to LED, and the high beams to 9011 halogens. Helps a lot of you drive the boondocks at night. They're not a stock swap, but I put some Diode Dynamics combo fog/driving lights in place of the OEM fogs, and love them, too.

1. Yes, do what you suggest. A good, high quality all season, all terrain tire leaning more towards road performance would be good. I've had great luck with Nitto Terra Grapplers on and off road.

2. No, they're just kinda ghey looking stock... Just kidding, kinda... Some slider steps or Prado rocker covers while ditching the steps altogether (if you can, depending on family and passenger needs) kinda toughens it up. But that's a lot of time and effort and money just for looks. The 17's will do a lot.

3. Best bang for the buck mod even if you don't off road is a Pedal Commander throttle controller. You'll love it every. time. you. drive.

Good lookingb rig, BTW.
Thanks for all of this!

I feel a bit bad - the current tires are Michelin LTX MS2's and have some life left in them. BUT, I would love to change up the look. Hoping I can find some cheaper ones on FB Marketplace.

I've thought about cutting the running boards and watched some videos on it. Looks great.

Funny, I just bought a Pedal Commander today for $135! Pumped to try it!

Thanks again for the info!

expedition essentials phone mount to me was a necessity since there is no real goodnplace to put your phone that isn’t out of the way or out of reach

First, I’ll get in before the “just mash the gas pedal“ crowd.
That’s the usual cry from those that have never experienced a Pedal Commander. Oh well, their loss…must be painful being so judgy and ill-informed.
Back on topic…that’s a great price you paid for your PC…enjoy it, and your new GX.

Thanks for all of this!

I feel a bit bad - the current tires are Michelin LTX MS2's and have some life left in them. BUT, I would love to change up the look. Hoping I can find some cheaper ones on FB Marketplace.

I've thought about cutting the running boards and watched some videos on it. Looks great.

Thanks again for the info!
I brought my PC on the flight with me to pick up my rig, and installed in within the first hour. I also like the ecru interior.

> I want to get rid of the soccer mom vibe. I'd like to get some more aggressive tires. I see the 17" TRD Pro wheels are a popular choice with some KO'2 or something similar.
i still run 18s ... to cheap to buy a set of 17s. i personally have a hard time justifying $1k+ for 1/2 inch of additional sidewall.

> Any mods that you really love that you feel are must-dos?
i'd recommend all terrain tires, engine skid plate, and sliders for off-roading in california.

Last edited:
I agree with all the suggestions above and...
  • Regarding tire/wheel size, "if" you have the budget after buying your GX, I'd suggest finding a 17" wheel you really like, and mount a high mileage A/T (I'll get over 60,000 miles from BFG A/T's AND they're quiet).
  • Be sure to absolutely get your fifth (spare) tire and wheel at the same time.
  • Find the largest tires that the spare will fit underneath. Be absolutely sure that the size you get (O.D.) will fit comfortably underneath, in the spare tire location. With a 31" or 32" tire, you should not need a suspension lift. That being said, if there is any minor rubbing, it may also depend upon your wheel offset.
  • Rock sliders. Not only will they look good and offer off road protection (which does not sound like anything you're worried about) but they are a great jacking point for lifting your rig for work underneath. AND in case of being T-boned from the side, add a lot of side impact protection! (ask me how I know...)
  • Trim up your front and rear bumpers for better ground clearance.
  • Maybe add a roof rack and some aux lighting.
Doing those few items will get your rid looking rough and ready, provide you a decent amount of off road capability, all while keeping ride quality and NOT dropping a ton of money into it for mod's you'll probably never use.

Get 1 inch larger tires (preferably chunky ATs) and lower the wheel offset from +25 to somewhere between -10 and +10 and the soccer van look is pretty much eliminated. I did this by switching to 17s and 265/70/17 all terrains, but you you could get 265/65/18s and wheel spacers if you want to keep the factory wheels.

You don't need to mess with lifts or sliders or anything if you aren't offroading. You might want to look at Diode Dynamics fog light kit for the 10-13 GX.

Get 1 inch larger tires (preferably chunky ATs) and lower the wheel offset from +25 to somewhere between -10 and +10 and the soccer van look is pretty much eliminated. I did this by switching to 17s and 265/70/17 all terrains, but you you could get 265/65/18s and wheel spacers if you want to keep the factory wheels.

You don't need to mess with lifts or sliders or anything if you aren't offroading. You might want to look at Diode Dynamics fog light kit for the 10-13 GX.
Thanks for this! Do you happen to have a pic of your GX?

I am of the personal opinion that a lift does wonders for changing the "mall crawler" look these things have stock. I purchased the below with a 2" toytec suspension lift already installed and I still find myself occasionally admiring it, after owning it for 2 years. Also have some not-very-aggressive all terrains on there with stock rims. I occasionally get notes on my windshield asking me if I am interested in selling my car, lol.

I do go off road for family camping trips, and into the snow, so the lift is useful. And I also added an off the shelf yakima roof rack (2nd pic) with OEM roof crossbars, although I don't think that necessarily adds to the, umm..."manly" look. (But it is useful and was super easy to install.) I think the racks you bolt directly into the roof look cooler personally but I am ultimately lazy and cheap.

20200314_143659.jpg

20200412_182434.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom