Finally joined the Big Tree gang.

Discussion in 'Tundra / Sequoia' started by Dindu Nuffin, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Dindu Nuffin

Dindu Nuffin

I grabbed an '06 Limited today with 191k and every option box checked. The previous owner already swapped the air bags for coils, and interestingly enough, said it was a direct swap without any fabrication involved.

The plan is to remove the running boards and sway bars and go shake it down on a mild trail to see what areas need to be addressed. I haven't sold my 80 yet, and how the Tree does off road will be the deciding factor in whether the 80 or the Tree stays.

Should it prove to have potential, the plan is a 3" spacer lift, long travel upper control arms, 33's mounted on FZJ80 wheels or maybe a set of FN Fives if I don't feel like shaving my calipers, and a Harrop locker in the rear. Bumpers, sliders and skid plates may come later if I decide it warrants them.

143751-1535674414-58176.jpg

Jdc1 likes this.
  2. Dindu Nuffin

Dindu Nuffin

@greenmonster07 Here's the difference between sway bars and no sway bars. The black one was one that I test drove from a used car lot but decided not to buy because it was pretty haggard. I drove it about 30' off pavement to get it to flex out, and this was as far as I could get in 4wd with the cdl locked before adjacent wheels spun.

20180921_112238.jpg

20180921_112247.jpg

And here's mine without sway bars. Granted, it's not the same obstacle but it is a much bigger one, and you can see the difference in up and down travel in the front and the massive increase in down travel in the rear.

20180922_174824.jpg

20180922_174806.jpg

Rear up travel didn't increase because it'll sit on the bump stop with the sway bar in place, but there was about an inch of space between the LCA and the front bump stop with the sway bar in place. There's actually still a bit of weight on the left rear wheel in that last pic but the shock was close to topping out, so I'd guess maybe another inch of down travel beyond what you see before it lifts off the ground.

For a pavement princess IFS rig, I'm honestly fairly impressed. The front travel without the sway bar is comparable to the front of a stock 80 series with the sway.

Body roll is not bad at all. It corners very flat compared to my 80, and isn't something I'd worry about at all. However, I don't have the lift yet, so you may experience a little more. Even still, I suspect it'd be far from excessive. Lastly, the ride drastically improved in all conditions. Other than the occasional body on frame shudder it has when it hits an odd bump, it is very, very close to being as comfortable as my girl friends 2016 Jaguar XJ-L Portfolio.

You'll need a 5mm Allen wrench, a 17mm box end wrench, 14mm shallow and deep well sockets, and two 14mm box end wrenches, and will need to drop the rear of the rear drive shafts to get the rear sway bar out. It took me about a half hour and should be done with the truck on its wheels.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  3. Dindu Nuffin

Dindu Nuffin

Hit the trail today and decided it's worth keeping. Tires, FZJ80 wheels, a lift and a locker will be ordered later this week. I dig it. A lot.

20180923_141230.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. greenmonster07

greenmonster07

Haha awesome!! Wow, thats some great articulation... Looking forward to following your build. Also this guy has some cool Seqouia stuff on his IG,
    Instagram Link

5. Dindu Nuffin

Dindu Nuffin

Thanks! I picked up a set of LX450 wheels today but there's only four, so I'm on the hunt for the spare. I also need to test fit one to see how much clearancing is needed on the caliper and wheel. There was someone else on here that had these wheels on his but he had an '02 and while the rotors are the same, I have different calipers.

The lift is on hold, only so that I can do a bit more reading about this particular IFS and take some measurements. I've seen mention of too much down travel causing the tie rod to bend and since I was planning on a spacer on the top of the strut + long travel UCAs, I need to see just where this thing can get flexed out to without damage. The up side is that I have the rear covered- I have a set of stock 80 series rear coils and 30mm spacers, plus some longish travel 80 series rear shocks to go with them.

Having driven it a few times at night now, I'm thinking a projector retrofit. I don't just want to throw brighter bulbs in the stock housings because there's already a ton of stray light with whatever dim bulbs are in there.

The roof rack is going to go; removal is good for +1-2 mpg and a bit less wind noise in the 80 series and I'll never ever use it.

6. Dindu Nuffin

Dindu Nuffin

All right, I was able to get a full day of wheeling in on the truck and it did great. Having passed the muster, it's time to fire up the 'ole parts cannon...

I bought a Tuff Country 4.5" Tundra lift for the front and have my left over stock 80 series rear springs w/30mm spacers for the rear and maybe a set of 80 series rear shocks I have laying around. They have another roughly 1.5" of travel in them compared to the Sequoia shocks.

Also on the way: Harrop rear locker, 4.88 gears, and 315/75 Destination MT2s once I source a spare wheel and plastidip the set.

Minor stuff: I already disabled the TPMS, am looking into a way to switch off the VSC when off road, have a Bluetooth adapter to install, and am about to get the projector retrofit underway.

Busy times!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.