Finally got a rear end with a DIY NWTI Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
I have no affiliation with these guys

After searching a long time for a rear bumper that did not require cutting off the rear cross member, I finally have one. I wanted to keep my OEM tow hitch and this allows me to do so. This thing is super stout. I have the rear swing out in the shop, but I wanted it to be removable because I open the back a lot and it's a pain, so this allows me to put it on as needed. The shackles are nice too. I am not a fan of the NWTI cutout but oh well.

I did have to cut about an inch off my tailpipe, but I don't smell exhaust. The aluminum step gets removed too.

It's a DIY bumper kit, i think it is $440 and the swing out is $375.

1990-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80/FZJ80/LX450 Rear Weld Together Off Road Bumper Kit

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

Anyone else recalling those college days when their girlfriend asked if those black jeans made her ass look big?

Anyone else recalling those college days when their girlfriend asked if those black jeans made her ass look big?

This is tech not chat. You obviously were not raised well as a kid because you mother didn't teach you manners- "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it."

I didn't see anything else posted about this so I did. Or maybe you are a Slee fan boy and have to have a $3500 bumper? I like it, it met my needs. Move along if you are going to be a troll.....

I've been under the impression that the 4x4labs rear bumper is the only one that requires cutting the frame off.

DIY as in, you welded it together? How thick is the material they used?

This is tech not chat. You obviously were not raised well as a kid because you mother didn't teach you manners- "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it."

I didn't see anything else posted about this so I did. Or maybe you are a Slee fan boy and have to have a $3500 bumper? I like it, it met my needs. Move along if you are going to be a troll.....

Easy Killer....He was just cracking a joke, not looking to UFC.

I am finishing the NWTI front bumper now. I too paid $500 shipped. It too is a very stout kit.

I'm undecided on surface treatment (Bed Liner - Can be repaired) and is $30 for Herculiner. Says it should be primed. Or Powder Coat ~$70

I've been under the impression that the 4x4labs rear bumper is the only one that requires cutting the frame off.

DIY as in, you welded it together? How thick is the material they used?

Yes it's a weld DIY. the only one I found that did not require it was IPOR but they are NLA.

I am finishing the NWTI front bumper now. I too paid $500 shipped. It too is a very stout kit.

I'm undecided on surface treatment (Bed Liner - Can be repaired) and is $30 for Herculiner. Says it should be primed. Or Powder Coat ~$70

Perhaps but I found it rude and insulting. And I am not in a joking mood today. I have seen folks troll more on here in tech which is bad for the community/forum.

It's painted with rustoleum metallic spray paint so it's easy to fix.

If there were no joking around on this forum people would bring the tech elsewhere too.

I would steer away from Herculiner. I have used it before on projects, and even with very thorough prep it would eventually start coming off at the car wash. Also if you scrape it, it won't be easy to touch up.

@arcteryx does that bumper sit flush to the crossmember ?

Honestly the rear ARB (at least the ones I've seen the most of) come out pretty far, too.

If we are going to start cracking jokes in this thread, let's start with that longhorn sticker :cautious:

It's always good to see more options for our trucks, beauty (and function) in the eye of beholder. Thanks for posting this. If only I could weld.

What does this mean? I remember seeing a list of acrynyms around here somewhere but I'll be dammed if I can find it now.

If there were no joking around on this forum people would bring the tech elsewhere too.

J- Agreed. Joking around is always good and welcomed, it makes life better/more fun so long as it's respectful.

I recall another well-known veteran member on here post something about "mentally retarded" people. (The thread is deleted so don't bother looking). Even though I do not have any family with this condition, I found it offensive and I called him out on it letting him know as much. Never got an apology and we haven't talked since (by his doing, my door is always open.)

I would steer away from Herculiner. I have used it before on projects, and even with very thorough prep it would eventually start coming off at the car wash. Also if you scrape it, it won't be easy to touch up.

@arcteryx does that bumper sit flush to the crossmember ?

Yes it's flush.

What does this mean? I remember seeing a list of acrynyms around here somewhere but I'll be dammed if I can find it now.

If you were a member before circa 2009/2010, you would know.... Let's just say it's good it's gone.

If we are going to start cracking jokes in this thread, let's start with that longhorn sticker :cautious:

It's always good to see more options for our trucks, beauty (and function) in the eye of beholder. Thanks for posting this. If only I could weld.

Well, funny story on that. My original hitch got all banged up in Moab a few years ago, and I had this one lying around from a local. Never took it off. I didn't go to UT but do live in ATX so I can pull for the locals. Good business.

I confess, I did not weld this. My buddy @ginericLC did it all. He did not like the clearance and got a 4x4labs. But I do have a super nice welder and Miller spool that has never been used by me :) Someday.....

:lol:

You need a nap man. While the bumper looks nice and is what you want, its not my style. But plenty out there this what they are looking for. :cheers:

I feel a little better today. Met with the accountant and I get a phat refund. Finally some good news bro.

J- Agreed. Joking around is always good and welcomed, it makes life better/more fun so long as it's respectful.

I recall another well-known veteran member on here post something about "mentally retarded" people. (The thread is deleted so don't bother looking). Even though I do not have any family with this condition, I found it offensive and I called him out on it letting him know as much. Never got an apology and we haven't talked since (by his doing, my door is always open.)

I didn't see that conversation and I have no problem trusting you on it being inappropriate. There are places all manner of joking can be acceptable but needless to say.. it depends on your audience. That said.. personally I don't see the equivalence. A crack about a bumper making the ass of a cruiser look big doesn't seem like that big of a deal in the few years I've been around this forum and the decade plus in others. Or at least not enough to respond with a personal insult, IMO.

I didn't go to UT but do live in ATX so I can pull for the locals. Good business.

Truth.

I would like to see a pic o two with the swing-out attached.

Overall with/without the swingout, how much does this weigh?

I am SLOWLY designing my own and it is looking to be similar in construction because I have no desire to cut my frame.

I had no idea who NWTI was until this post.

Don't worry about @2fpower , he's actually one of the good guys! Must have posted on a bad day for everyone! Definitely NOT a troll......

Now me.......

If I had no idea who you were or what your do.......I probably would have said the same, but he beat me to it and I thought it was humorous, and not in a bad way, 'cause I thought of my wife........And, I made almost the same comment to @LS1FJ40 last week.

Except, I would have said: "No, it's not the jeans that make it look fat.....it's your undercarriage!"

A crack about a bumper making the ass of a cruiser look big doesn't seem like that big of a deal in the few years I've been around this forum and the decade plus in others. .

Lets just be totally honest, just about any bumper, other than the labs, makes the ass of the 80 series look big. There's just no getting around it unless you take out the rear cross member. Even the Slee, which may be the smallest of the non labs will drag on everything. However, it seems like the trailer hitch takes the brunt of it on most of the ones I've seen. On another note the price shipped on these bumpers is ridiculously low. I bet these become super popular.

I appreciate the pics and info on the bumper. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to do the NWTI for some time....but I don't know how to weld, so I would be at the mercy of finding a reputable welder that won't break the bank. I was waiting on another project to come to fruition but not sure when that will happen, so this might be my option.

Is the swing-out easily taken off and put back on? I would love to see pics of the swing-out on there as well if available. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom