FG projects/wrenching ‘19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We picked up this FJ80 a couple of weeks ago and have done nothing but drive it home and park it. It’s been sitting for the better part of a year in the POs yard and the brakes dragged hard on the way home.

In a moment of delusion, I joined Yankee Toys and signed us up for the FG next weekend. Having no knowledge of this trucks history and no experience wheeling it, we are going to make the 1.5 hr drive west with it and try to have some fun.

It will spend this weekend on the lift getting some maintenance and a full brake job, adding the center diff lock switch and putting some of the interior back together enough to have 2 seats to sit in. I might even weld in a floor pan patch for the rusty drivers side.

Looking forward to seeing all of you and seeing what this pig can do.

680D5B4D-C0E4-4BE3-91CA-D110DFF1228F.jpeg

She’ll be perfect! I like your spirit.... that’s what the trucks and us knuckleheads are...

So far, haven’t found any issues. It’s been well maintained, has brand new brakes all around, everything is tight and looks solid. Giving it some fresh fluids and a grease job and we are going to give her hell!

A0077F7D-0735-4FC1-A75C-EB07FBD812C4.jpeg

And I think we are ready! Floors patched, full service done, and we found time to build a sleep platform in the back for camping next weekend! We are in the market for some decent 35s

9C52E602-356C-4EEB-A82B-22294C9CE5C1.jpeg

1D413CAE-07CA-44AA-8C50-2B76649CD1EF.jpeg

43622449-D69F-4EBF-8F88-5B2C1C869B16.jpeg

And our FJ80 is back on the lift ... :( Brakes seem to be dragging hard, enough to slow the truck down while driving under power. Seems to be all 4 corners getting hot so I dont suspect a bad caliper and the PO had recently had the brakes completely replaced with reman calipers on all wheels. I cant find anything wrong with them, all pistons move in and out easily and smoothly, rear slides are good. Im leaning towards a bad master cyl or maybe a mis-adjusted push rod but it seems unlikely as I dont think that it was replaced. Anyone have a guess? If I had more time Im sure I could disect it and find the problem, but I want to get this going for this weekend and short of throwing a bunch of parts at it in the next few evenings, Im out of ideas. Maybe we will be wheeling the family 4runner instead...

There is a Matheson gas around the corner from Keeley’s shop where they fill all welding bottles, told they guy I didn’t want to exchange my tanks for new bottles once he saw them understood why, I pick them up tomorrow when I head out of town

After swapping a master cylinder and putting on some different wheels and tires, I think it is ready to go! Funny how these trucks swallow up 315s like they are stock tires.

image.jpg

0FE2F1F4-0F6B-452B-BE23-13494820E56E.jpeg

Happy to report that we had no issues with our new toy. Now that we have more than 1.5 weeks to prepare for its next outing, I should be able to get some armor and bumpers on it and set up a little better for the woods. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the good time!!!

Mines still on jack stands.... :( maybe next year. My brother just keeps ordering parts to keep me busy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom