February Club Run - Cougar Buttes! February 19th, 2022; Day Run w/overnight camping optional. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our February Club Run will be Cougar Buttes, just minutes from Big Bear and Johnson Valley. According to TrailsOffRoad, Cougar Buttes has everything Johnson Valley has but in a much smaller and more accessible area. This area is rated on difficulty from 1-10, depending on which portions of which trails you choose to run. It will be suitable for stock high-clearance 4WD's, but should offer some more challenging line options as well, for those who'd like to "stretch" a bit.

We will meet at 8:30 AM, at the corner of Camp Rock Road & Cambria Road (off Hwy 247; GPS coordinates 34.48724, -116.85714), to air down and hit the trail, with wheels rolling by 9:00 AM. You'll probably want to top-off your fuel tank in Hesperia or Victorville. Since our rendezvous point is just 2-3 hours away, it's close enough for a day run. However, I'm planning to camp Saturday night, if you'd like to join me. I've not camped there before, but I understand there's a lot of primitive/dispersed camping in the area.

If you're planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread, so that I know who/how many to expect?

Our February Club Run will be Cougar Buttes, just minutes from Big Bear and Johnson Valley. According to TrailsOffRoad, Cougar Buttes has everything Johnson Valley has but in a much smaller and more accessible area. This area is rated on difficulty from 1-10, depending on which portions of which trails you choose to run. It will be suitable for stock high-clearance 4WD's, but should offer some more challenging line options as well, for those who'd like to "stretch" a bit.

We will meet at 8:30 AM, at the corner of Camp Rock Road & Cambria Road (off Hwy 247; GPS coordinates 34.48724, -116.85714), to air down and hit the trail, with wheels rolling by 9:00 AM. You'll probably want to top-off your fuel tank in Hesperia or Victorville. Since our rendezvous point is just 2-3 hours away, it's close enough for a day run. However, I'm planning to camp Saturday night, if you'd like to join me. I've not camped there before, but I understand there's a lot of primitive/dispersed camping in the area.

If you're planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread, so that I know who/how many to expect?
I'm planning to attend for the day trip.

Marc

Depending on when my steering rack comes will determine if I'm going to be able to come.

I'm planning to attend for the day trip.

Marc
I am reconsidering my decision for the day trip. I may go out Friday morning to find a suitable location for a day of target shooting & then camping in the general area of our day trip event for Saturday. As the event gets closer I would be interested in anyone else who is wanting to join me for this Friday optional target shooting and/or camping location?

Marc

^^ This sounds intriguing Marc. Missed the meeting today. I'd be up for this.

Anyone staying Saturday evening?

Thus is President's weekend so crowds??

^^ This sounds intriguing Marc. Missed the meeting today. I'd be up for this.

Anyone staying Saturday evening?

Thus is President's weekend so crowds??
I believe the Friday option for target shooting & overnight camping could be nice. If anyone has a thought as to a specific target shooting location please don't hesitate to share I will do a little bit more researching myself as the event gets closer .

? W/r to base camp option: I think I remember that any trail taken by the club would return to departure location. Would that location be where we set up base camp?

Do we have coordinates to said base camp location, or do we decide on the fly?

? W/r to base camp option: I think I remember that any trail taken by the club would return to departure location. Would that location be where we set up base camp?

Do we have coordinates to said base camp location, or do we decide on the fly?
I've not been to this area yet, so I'm pretty much "winging it". That said, however, since we are meeting near the intersection of two dirt roads, I'm not planning on camping there. I'm hoping to camp somewhere just past Waypoint 5 on this Cougar Buttes Trail map, maybe after exploring farther down the trail & returning here. My goal is to camp in a remote, un-crowded area. The following day, I would anticipate returning to the trail head & then heading home. My best guess (sight unseen, of course) is that I'd want to camp somewhere around: 34.47954, -116.82124, maybe HERE on Google Maps (select the Satellite View). Hope that helps!

Hey all - To the best of my knowledge, here's how it stands as of Friday evening:

oc cruiser 97 - Possible Friday shooting w/Friday night camp, Saturday day run
Ttoner80 - Friday exploring w/Friday night camp, Saturday day run
AchillesY - Saturday day run & camping Saturday night.
Rich - Saturday day run
Katelin - Saturday day run
Me - Saturday day run & camping Saturday night
Live toSki - Saturday day run & camping Saturday night
jabronie9 - Saturday day run & camping Saturday night
DoneThoo2 - Possible, depending on mech issues

So it looks like 8+ rigs. As usual, those with Ham radios can monitor channel 146.535. Looking forward to seeing you all!

Last edited:
I'm going to pass this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom