February 20th Trail Run - Phantom Canyon & Shelf Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
The weather looks mild, should be a good outing!

<Tentative Plan>
Springs group will meet at the Safeway parking lot on S. Nevada Avenue (address=1920 S. Nevada), between 8am and 8:30am. Roll out at 8:30am
Drive down 119 to Penrose, then west on US 50 to the south end of Phantom Canyon Road (there is a parking area sufficient for 10-12 trucks)

Pueblo West/Canon City group meets at the south end of Phantom Canyon Road between 9:45 and 10am (ETA for Springs group)

We'll drive Phantom Canyon Road north to Victor, possibly lunch somewhere suitable along the road, then the county road over to Cripple Creek. We can make a pause in Cripple Creek (potty break, snacks, etc.) then proceed south on Shelf Road and hit the pavement north of Red Canyon. Drive pavement south into Canon City.

Expect a relatively long day, probably 5-6 hours on this loop.

Post up if you'll make it, and where you intend to meet (Springs or intersection of 50 and Phantom Canyon; those coming from Divide/WP may want to vary?)

Last edited:
Ok, I don't want to jinx anything, but I may be in for this! Working on a heat shield for my DS cat, and want to get a longer shakedown in, but maybe.

<Tentative Plan>
Springs group will meet at the Safeway parking lot on S. Nevada Avenue, between 8am and 8:30am. Roll out at 8:30am
Drive down 119 to Penrose, then west on US 50 to the south end of Phantom Canyon Road (there is a parking area sufficient for 10-12 trucks)

Pueblo West/Canon City group meets at the south end of Phantom Canyon Road between 9:45 and 10am (ETA for Springs group)

We'll drive Phantom Canyon Road north to Victor, possibly lunch somewhere suitable along the road, then the county road over to Cripple Creek. We can make a pause in Cripple Creek (potty break, snacks, etc.) then proceed south on Shelf Road and hit the pavement north of Red Canyon. Drive pavement south into Canon City.

Post up if you'll make it, and where you intend to meet (Springs or intersection of 50 and Phantom Canyon; those coming from Divide/WP may want to vary?)
I'm 90% in!
Will meet you at the Safeway on S. Nevada Avenue at 8:15am.

Thanks,
Andrew--

<Tentative Plan>
Springs group will meet at the Safeway parking lot on S. Nevada Avenue, between 8am and 8:30am. Roll out at 8:30am

I plan to attend. I will meet you guys at the Safeway on S. Nevada.

I'm Rick.......2006 silver Lexus 470GX...stock. I assume stock vehicles can do this drive? I'm somewhat new to CO

Looking forward to a great day and to meeting you guys

I'll be there for my first run with the club. I'll be coming from WP. I'll join you attend Safeway and will depart the group once we reach Victor to head back to WP. Looking forward to it. I ran part of this route with my wife and dog a month ago. Should be fun!

<Tentative Plan>

We're planning on joining in. meet up at Safeway S. Nevada. Mark & Teri

Reactions: SAS
Edited first post to include address to the correct Safeway store, it's 1920 S. Nevada Avenue.

Ok guys, I'm out. Got a cooling issue. Temps are fine driving - 195 to 200 or so depending on speed & load. But when stopped and idling for a few minutes, the temperature starts going up - was at 224.8, and the fans aren't turning. As soon as I start moving again and air is flowing through the radiator the temp comes down pretty quickly.

But on the chance that parts of this ride could be low & slow, I don't want to risk it.

I enjoyed it! Any of y'all let me know if you get an itch for wheeling before the next club run. Cheers.
We really enjoyed ourselves. Sorry we had to head out from Victor direct but we’re happy to have our grandkids come and one got car sick. We’ll be back. Tracy, so appreciate how you coordinate it all

Thanks to everyone for coming out, we had a good mix of vehicles and it's always a pleasure to spend time in the mountains!

20210220_114451.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom