FAQ: Member Storage Solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the other threads, lets keep the chat to a minimum!

Post up your storage solutions. This includes drawer set-ups, 2nd battery trays as tool boxes, anything that provides a storage solution in the FJ Cruiser.

If you have a detailed link, provide a few pictures with a quick description and the link to your details. With this topic, photos are especially helpful. If you plan to install and/or build a storage idea, please post photos & writeups!

If you don't have a detailed link, make sure you provide enough info that someone could copy your solution.

Cargobox installed in my '91 4Runner.
A friend measured the back of his FJC and confirmed my box will fit in the FJ.
May not be room on the side for my tank, but I will make a bracket to mount to the top of the box if needed.

http://www.pnw4runners.com/index.php?dir=cargobox/

Newer picture with new PT

Will update thread when the box gets put into the FJC, but I thought the box would give others an idea of how much these can hold as seen in picure #7.

Same box as in my 4Runner above.
Cleaned up the interior of the drawers and added a few more tools, and organized them.
Faster to get to the tool I need, and I can see them better with them organized.

5.jpg

6a.jpg

5a.jpg

My rear storage solution seemed simple at first. I created a cardboard template that matched the contours of the area above each wheel well. Then I cut a 3/8" plywood shelf to span from wheel well to wheel well. The solution got more complicated when said shelf wouldn't fit through down into the area because the interior compartment dimensions are only wide enough right at the top of the wheel well.

So I wound up slicing the shelf at about the 40/60 mark and then running 1x6 planks across to support the split shelf from below. I used a belt sander to taper the ends of the planks so that they matched the slope of the wheel wells and this made the shelf very stable. Next I used a handful of wood screws to secure the two plywood shelf pieces to the planks. Because all of this fit so snugly on top of the wheel wells, no tie down mechanism was needed to keep the shelf from flying out or flipping over. The sides of the vehicle basically taper inward/upward, which keeps the edges of the shelf from lifting. If I ever need to remove this shelf, I'll need to basically disassemble it screw by screw.

Then I picked up some cheap floor runner material at my local home improvement store ($1.75/ft x 6 ft) and covered the top surface and all edges. I staple gunned the vinyl material into place and then added a couple of tie down anchors. I splurged on got the 2000lb removable kind. The whole project was done with the mindset of spending as little cash as possible - the wood I had laying around, so the only new materials were the hardware and the vinyl = $62. I've been extremely happy with the result. It's plenty of room underneath for my tools and spares and I can still cram a few rubbermaid containers for my camping gear on top of the shelf.

DSC05156.jpg

DSC05158.jpg

OK going to try to keep the chat to a min. 1st pic: I've had this in for a couple of years. Standard plywood carcas and drawers.

003.jpg

The drawers lock with bent nails through the top into the fronts.

pic of the stuff inside:

004.jpg

In addition, in this next pic you can see the front storage area just behind the front seats. We haven't had our rear seats in for well over a year (except when the grandson comes down:

005.jpg

These next two are of the front part of the storage area:

006.jpg

The vertical thing is a water gauge.

007.jpg

The next two are with the access doors open and our stuff inside

008.jpg

011.jpg

I may get questions about the big white thing with the big black things on top. This is a custom one-off home made 17 gal. water tank. The next 2 pics are of the pick-up line running into the rear bulkhead to a 12v pump and then the last pic is of the rear faucet and quick disconnect for a shower line. The faucet swivels around for easy use. It's great.

010.jpg

009-1.jpg

That's it for our storage.

made my own storage, fitting a 60lt water tank, 60 lt Engel, slide out frame, cargo barrier, top rack for all the light stuff, and storage down the sides using bags to access through the top.

I also fixed the rear bumper issue :grinpimp:

fjstoragewatertank.jpg

fjsideopensingstorageopen.jpg

fjsideopensingstorage.jpg

fjstoragerearclosedfinished.jpg

fjrearpantrytogobesidefridge.jpg

fjstorageshelffinished.jpg

P1010454.jpg

fjstorageclosed.jpg

fjrearstorageopen.jpg

fjrearseatareastorage.jpg

fjrearseat3rdbattery.jpg

fjrearshelfdrinkuhfrack.jpg

fjrearbagshelfandbarrier.jpg

009-3.jpg
[/IMG]

010-7.jpg
[/IMG]

Tuffy Locking Storage Drawer. The flaps sticking up on top do that so you have access to the storage compartments on the FJ's side walls. You can also store small stuff between the wheel well and the drawer. The flaps fold down flat. I also have a set of Tuffy's tie down bars. They are approx 1-2ft long and 3" high with a varying sized slot the length of them for hooking tie down straps to. They mount one on each side near the edge of the drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom