Fairlead help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhere on this terrific site I saw a house fairlead for a winch line with no hook but I can not find it again can someone please help me out? It was a synthetic line that hooked on the fairlead. Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Yankum and dirt lifestyle nate.

Thank you for your fast response. I really appreciate it . Good wheeling.

19A89AD7-412C-4C79-8EBA-94F6AEA1FB64.png

Seems like it leaves your loop and end of your winch line exposed the the elements which breaks synthetic down.

F55 has a loop guard that was recommended to me by a 4WDTA instructor and I use now.

Morning-
I’m finally stepping into the new century with a synthetic winch line. I really like this idea for safety and simplicity reasons. The price is high, but I can choke it down. Has anyone found any other reasons not to buy one?

Beyond the price (which has come down a lot in the last decade) and the potentially shorter lifespan vs steel when exposed to the elements. This is a debate as well, since sailing synthetic lines are exposed to UV and the elements including saltwater for years and hold up. I cannot see a downside. Yes they wear out, but steel does as well and fray. You will want a line guard for anywhere it could rub on rocks/debris.

For thimbles, you could also go with The Safety Thimble from Wizzard Recovery Gear. I dug into it a little and he designed the TRE thimble that Factor 55 allegedly copied to make theirs (take it with a grain of salt, but I found a number of forums claiming that). The Wizzard Thimble is the TRE thimble without any labels on it, direct from the designer.

Beyond the price (which has come down a lot in the last decade) and the potentially shorter lifespan vs steel when exposed to the elements. This is a debate as well, since sailing synthetic lines are exposed to UV and the elements including saltwater for years and hold up. I cannot see a downside. Yes they wear out, but steel does as well and fray. You will want a line guard for anywhere it could rub on rocks/debris.

For thimbles, you could also go with The Safety Thimble from Wizzard Recovery Gear. I dug into it a little and he designed the TRE thimble that Factor 55 allegedly copied to make theirs (take it with a grain of salt, but I found a number of forums claiming that). The Wizzard Thimble is the TRE thimble without any labels on it, direct from the designer.
Thank you for the input. I was thinking of skipping the thimble and going with the Yankum hawse and just a loop. Has anyone gotten any time with the yankum hawse?

Thank you for the input. I was thinking of skipping the thimble and going with the Yankum hawse and just a loop. Has anyone gotten any time with the yankum hawse?
i really think it boils down to different strokes for different folks. yankum and their design is very cool. i definitely like their train of thought.

as mentioned, notice yankum coats the rope end. Likely to protect from uv.
the other thing not really mentioned is minimum rope diameter. it seems slightly negligible but rope loses some strength if its turned too sharp.

also i personally like having an attached thimble in case i need to toss it.

Last edited:
i really think it boils down to different strokes for different folks. yankum and their design is very cool. i definitely like their train of thought.

as mentioned, notice yankum coats the rope end. Likely to protect from uv.
the other thing not really mentioned is minimal rope diameter. it seems slightly negligible but rope loses some strength if its turned too sharp.

also i personally like having an attached thimble in case i need to toss it.
I agree it’s different strokes. Truth be told I use my winch 1 or 2 times a year, but I also know I’m not as practiced in safety measures as I should be. This seems to remove one or two variables and that’s how I justify the expense. Added bonus, one less thing to bang my knee on.
If nobody has any negatives, outside of the cost, I’m willing to guinea pig this one. As to the coating it seems like a reasonable precaution, but I noticed that Nate downplayed the need in the DL video. Since my truck sees more street, I’ll likely dip mine. Got any special sauce for the dip? Or can I just use tool dip?

I agree it’s different strokes. Truth be told I use my winch 1 or 2 times a year, but I also know I’m not as practiced in safety measures as I should be. This seems to remove one or two variables and that’s how I justify the expense. Added bonus, one less thing to bang my knee on.
If nobody has any negatives, outside of the cost, I’m willing to guinea pig this one. As to the coating it seems like a reasonable precaution, but I noticed that Nate downplayed the need in the DL video. Since my truck sees more street, I’ll likely dip mine. Got any special sauce for the dip? Or can I just use tool dip?
Well push came to shove and I bailed on this purchase. I had it in my cart and everything. Then I came to my senses and bought one a tenth of the price. I was close, but couldn’t follow through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom