Failed smog check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished a top end rebuild. I installed EB street/RV head and Erson camshaft. I followed top portion of Wristy's "Failed Smog Check" guide except for the valve clearances. Camshaft recommends .008/.008; should I reset to factory settings of .008/.012 to pass smog, or will that work. Also found black soot on plug #4.

Thanks in advance !

RPM HC Limit/ Reading CO Limit/Reading

Idle 775 220/382 Fail 1.20/1.54 Fail

MORE DETAILS:

I had problems with my smog check today and was hoping for some experienced input.

I passed smog last year but I have just finished installing EB's Street/RV head, a new cam, cap, rotor, wires, etc. I have a slight miss and found black soot on one side of the #4 plug. I turned everything by hand after installation and all felt smooth, no binding, etc.

(Cam Spec: Erson T268A cam, 210° @ .050", .436" lift, .008/.008)

I followed Wristy's checklist except for resetting the valves. If I reset valves to stock .008/.012 what difference will it make on the exhaust emissions if any, or is it just a burn problem ?

I have been told that If I spend $450 for a DMV certified technician to try and correct this and it doesn't pass, I am eligible for a waiver; If I try it and can't pass I get nada.

Went through checklist and FSM, made adjustments to AFM , dashpot and Valves, replaced all vacuum lines w/ the spiffy blue silicone hoses. Passed all but the HC at 2500+.

Now I need to figure out why the ignition is missing at higher RPMs. I have new Toyota cap and rotor, new NGK wires, new plugs gapped to stock spec. I cleaned and checked distributor as per FSM.

Any ideas ?

I'm purely guessing but:
Recheck spark plug wires are fully seated. Check your ground wires and the brackets that hold teh coil/ignitor and make sure they are tight. Also it is possible to have arcing inside the distributor. A scope machine at teh smog shop would probably show the reason to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom