Failed Inspection due to Power Steering Gear box Leak. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i failed inspection for the first time today due to 3 things, one was frame rust passed the rear shackle. I have already had plans to fix this butt it seems like it just got some new threw rust, luckily its only really needs to be cut out and put a patch in to pass. The second one was my ebrake didnt hold, but the nut holding the line fell off so easy fix.

Lastly i was told my power searing gear box was leaking and there would be no way to fix it i would have to buy a new one. This has me skeptical because i still have good power steering fluid levels, and it hasnt really gone down. there is some oil around the power steering box but there seems to be no oil coming from the connections or any of the seal points. On top of that it steers well, i dont have any problems with hard steer. I had my belt break and had to drive without power steering for a bit and i know exactly how hard that is. Also the fact i was told you cant rebuild it seems kinda dubious to me, You cant rebuild a Toyota landcruier part? yeah right. Does anyone have any input or signs i should be looking for? or if i have to rebuild it is that possible?

I believe there is a member here that rebuilds the box there are definitely treads about it on here also.

If you can remove the PS Gear box send to West Texas off-road in San Angelo, TX. That's what most people do. Call them.

So i failed inspection for the first time today due to 3 things, one was frame rust passed the rear shackle. I have already had plans to fix this butt it seems like it just got some new threw rust, luckily its only really needs to be cut out and put a patch in to pass. The second one was my ebrake didnt hold, but the nut holding the line fell off so easy fix.

Lastly i was told my power searing gear box was leaking and there would be no way to fix it i would have to buy a new one. This has me skeptical because i still have good power steering fluid levels, and it hasnt really gone down. there is some oil around the power steering box but there seems to be no oil coming from the connections or any of the seal points. On top of that it steers well, i dont have any problems with hard steer. I had my belt break and had to drive without power steering for a bit and i know exactly how hard that is. Also the fact i was told you cant rebuild it seems kinda dubious to me, You cant rebuild a Toyota landcruier part? yeah right. Does anyone have any input or signs i should be looking for? or if i have to rebuild it is that possible?
They are easy to rebuild just messy. I’d clean it and go back. Never heard of failing for wet steering gear

They are easy to rebuild just messy. I’d clean it and go back. Never heard of failing for wet steering gear
Yeah it seemed odd for me. Ive had to put new power steering fluid in there once. Since then ive been checking it and its hardly gone down.

Also does anyone know some B.S. i can tell them i did to "fix" the problem in case they ask?

Power-steering takes Dextron ATF. Not PS fluid.

1571102701456.png

This sounds like bureaucratic BS to me.

Pressure wash it off and drive it a couple days to see if it leaks anymore. If it does, rebuild it. I just rebuilt my steering gearbox. It went from leaking to not. It's not that hard to do, just plan on a solid half day start-to-finish. There are several threads on how to do it. I used a kit from a box store and it worked just fine.

This sounds like bureaucratic BS to me.

Pressure wash it off and drive it a couple days to see if it leaks anymore. If it does, rebuild it. I just rebuilt my steering gearbox. It went from leaking to not. It's not that hard to do, just plan on a solid half day start-to-finish. There are several threads on how to do it. I used a kit from a box store and it worked just fine.
Thats my thought. I have hardly lost fluid so i doubt its leaking much. Also all of the mess is bellow the top of the box so its probably not that biggest of problems. I just want to get the failed inspection sticker off so i can start driving it again since its my DD

Did you try to get it inspected in Virginia Beach? I may know a place that inspected a 87fj60 with an ls swap it passes but it doesn't have any leaks also sounds like someone was being a hard ass and my have also wanted or needed extra work ( we rebuilt your steering box that will be 1500 bucks )

Did you try to get it inspected in Virginia Beach? I may know a place that inspected a 87fj60 with an ls swap it passes but it doesn't have any leaks also sounds like someone was being a hard ass and my have also wanted or needed extra work ( we rebuilt your steering box that will be 1500 bucks )
I took it back to my parents house Roanoke va to a place that has passed me before even with small exhaust leaks. They might have been caught and are just more serious now. I plan to get it re tested tomorrow after i clean up and just say i put ps fluid instead of ATF and say thats why there was some leaking.

Ive already tested it from point to point and didnt see a single leak. Also weirdly they told me i couldn't rebuild it and ill have to buy a new one.

PS Pump is not (generally) rebuildable if it's worn. PS steering gearbox is definitely rebuildable. If it were my truck, I would drain the PS fluid and replace with Full-Synthetic Dex-compatible ATF, like Amsoil. ATF has detergents and friction modifiers that straight PS fluid does not.

PS Pump is not (generally) rebuildable if it's worn. PS steering gearbox is definitely rebuildable. If it were my truck, I would drain the PS fluid and replace with Full-Synthetic Dex-compatible ATF, like Amsoil. ATF has detergents and friction modifiers that straight PS fluid does not.
Thats definitely what i will do. The problem is i have to go back to school this week so i dont have time to do it till next week. With a failed inspection sticker i dont want to gamble driving it back and getting it inspected near my school.

Also its the gear box not the pump. The gear box is wet but my fluid level has stayed the same for the last couple of months which i find odd.

Now that i know its ATF i am definitely going to do a flush and replace it. Im a little ashamed i assumed it was ps and didnt bother to look it up

Thats definitely what i will do. The problem is i have to go back to school this week so i dont have time to do it till next week. With a failed inspection sticker i dont want to gamble driving it back and getting it inspected near my school.

Also its the gear box not the pump. The gear box is wet but my fluid level has stayed the same for the last couple of months which i find odd.

Now that i know its ATF i am definitely going to do a flush and replace it. Im a little ashamed i assumed it was ps and didnt bother to look it up
I believe you should have a 30 day grace period before you could get a ticket

I believe you should have a 30 day grace period before you could get a ticket
15 days the issue is if i cant get it passed id be dead in the water. At least here i can borrow my parents extra truck. Just rather have it for sure pass than gamble

Clean it and see if its actually leaking didn't you just put it in a mud hole or something may have water in it or something look it over really good

Clean it and see if its actually leaking didn't you just put it in a mud hole or something may have water in it or something look it over really good
Definitely fluid of some sort but i had spent the previous day fixing an exhaust leak so there was alot of degreaser going around. Part of me is suspicious because the amount of fluid is more than what the dipstick says it dropped which was hardly anything.

Section
5519VAC30-70-110. Steering and suspension
#10.Power steering is defective and affects adequate steering of the vehicle or power steering fluid in reservoir is below operating level, orif there is an obvious leak of power steering fluid. Do not reject for dampness

So unless it was visibly dripping out or obviously pools of liquid your inspection station are being dicks.

Damp is not a place for a failure. They follow that PDF from the Virginia State Police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom