Expedition Style Trailer That Carries 2 Dirtbikes! Interest? Thoughts? Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sway bar, you say?
2006.10.25.trailer 005 (Custom).jpg

Do you find the bars to be of any help? Did you ever pull the trailer with out the bars? If so, what was the difference in in towing? Just courious on how much weight you normally carry? Thanks for the input.

Gday
Yes, I pulled that trailer for about 8 years and about 35000km without a swaybar.
I built that trailer for traveling around Australia, carrying a lot of tools(Im a diesel mechanic) and anything else my wife and I might need for a year on the road. - so it weighed around 1500kg. Now, just when we go away for a week , or a week end, it can weigh weigh around 1000kg depending what we take(welders, spares, water etc).
It was also quite high, to match my 80 and first 100srs, so it used to lean a bit on corners. This was fine, it just looked disconcerting in the mirrors, and occasionaly you could feel it pulling on the car.
So, one day, I mounted up the front sway bar off the 80srs(28mm from memory) using some shock absorber pins. This caused a lot less roll in corners, and it returns to neutral much quicker, too.
The thing is....those springs and shocks are off a 75srs Landcruiser ute rear(like in my avi.) and ofcourse the ute has 4 springs to resist body roll, not 2.
The reduced articulation seems to be outweighed by the less roll,or sway on rough tracks.
The ol' trailer has been slowly getting a birthday recently and Ive lowered it 2" last year.I think there is more about it in the "mini-truck conversion to trailer thread"(search for "mini truck" in trailers if you want)
Ive got a pair of air-bags in the shed, waiting to go in on a rainy day, when I change to 5 stud hubs. but that is more to control ride height empty to heavy.
Many highway trucks here are airbag, and they use very thick swaybars, whereas the same truck can be specd with leaves and has no swaybars.
Hope this helps a little - any other questions, ask away.

Cheers

Matt
5352.jpg
f6ae.jpg

Heres another 1 for free, having the shocks behind the axle like that means that mud and sand, etc goes up under the stone shield - and stays there for longer than youd think. I think people put the shocks behind the axle like that because it looks right, and looks like they will be protected, but I find - after about 50000km - that I am more likely to tow forwards along a track, where it follows the car, and reverse it into rough scrub!
Maybe, next, Ill put in another crossmember and mount them towards the center - 40srs style.
Oh, and I wouldnt worry too much about the quick disconect, my self.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt, Its all very helpful info. Im leaning towards airbags, laydown shocks, and a pinned swaybar. This should be able to handel the weight of two bikes a roof tent and all gear on the road nicely. Then free up the suspension to travel when off of the asphalt. I am building a mock up trailer to put through the paces before we go full tilt on the suspension. Thanks again for the input. We are planning on a fully loaded trailer to use as a pit trailer in Baja. Boston Mangler is going to need some additional help down there next year. LOL Are you using the hydraulic brakes as surge brakes?

Last edited:
Thanks For The Info Matt!

I would be willing to even swap you one of these trailers, i will pay for it, tax, title and insurance included in exchange for your 105

Cmon now, you know its a good deal!

Thanks for causing me to drool on my keyboard! :D

Gday
Yes, my override or surge brakes are hydraulic - in the 1st pic I posted, you can just make out a Hilux spinle and stone guard. I pressed then welded the spindes onto an axle I turned to suit, as it uses Hilux front disks/calipers, wheel bearings, seals, F/W hubs etc. The brakes are excellent, and the hitch incorperates a park brake.
May I strongly recomend you contact "Track" trailers in Melbourne, Australia(Google them)
They do an assimetric link suspension for superiour self steering, and in some of there military versions they use airbags,(and have done for many years). and in their cheeper models, coils(still with 10" of travel). Unfortunatly their website is not as good now as it once was, but they should be happy to e-mail you something.

I visited their factory a few years ago when I was thinking of building another trailer and can not recomend them and their advice highly enough!!!!!!!!

Regards

Matt

Not sure how "prototype" you intend to go with the suspension, but set ups similar to this are easily availible at any trailer supply shop, here - ready to weld on.
I would turn the shocks 90', tho, across the chassis.
And definatly add a sway bar.

Cheers

Matt
newsusplo.jpg

Another piece of advice......"build it... and they will come!"
I built mine on the cheep of course(thats why its Landcruiser and Hilux and leaf springs - from work), but there is enough of a market, even in Australia, to support several "premium" camper trailer (tent trailer) manufacturers whose trailers cost half what a diesel 200srs costs.

I say..."go all out"

Regards

Matt

Thinking about this has just reminded me of something.
Why is everyone so fasinated with airbags these days?
I worked on road trains for a while, and they had enough problems with their airbags, and valves, and they only ran on-road.
The next trailer I build will use adjustable coil-overs.
If you make a batch of premium trailers, and someone rips an airline out, - word will get around.
In Australia, when the 80srs came out with coils, it took a lot of people a long time to believe that they were going to be as tough, and handle the weight that they used to put in their leaf sprung 60srs.
To me, using airbags seems to be building in a weakness - real or imagined, and greater complexity just for the sake of it.
And yes, I do have a compressor.
Theres something to think about.
Regards

Matt

Last edited:
Like all things it takes a bit of education, and proving how good things are. The air bags have proven their worth and durability in Baja racing for years now. One of our offroad car competitors uses the bags on their cars with great success. If you have onboard air, it is a light weight, inexpensive,and a trail tough approach. Not to mention the adjustability and ride height options. Maybe that is another reason that sway bars would be of some help. Just in case of a blow out Im guessing you could drive with just the swaybars for a while? A spare set is easy to carry along if it is an issue.

Last edited:
Another idea, is maybe a "Lock Out" or something similar for when you are on the freeway and such to eliminate, or at least minimize sway!

My .02

Im guessing you mean a turn type disconnect for a tortion bar? might get kinda a pricey?

No, its hard to explain. Most full suspension mountain bikes, have a "Lock Out" on the rear shock, so when you are on pavement and want the power, it doesnt compress. Think that might be a good idea for a trailer once you get to pavement. Not a 100%, but you catch my drift!

I think this is what youre looking for....

TRAILER MADE MOTOR BIKE CAMPERS

It costs about $14k Canadian (I emailed them and found out) + shipping + taxes + whatever else....

Very simple yet usable design.

Those are ok, but sure look WAY overpriced for what they are!

I am sure Bobs (Metal Twister) creation will be way sweeter! :D

I think this is what youre looking for....

TRAILER MADE MOTOR BIKE CAMPERS

It costs about $14k Canadian (I emailed them and found out) + shipping + taxes + whatever else....

Very simple yet usable design.

Well,--- its kinda what we are talking about? Ours are alot more off -road worthy. Abit more refined, but they both do carry bikes, and they both do have tents. We have been busy developing alot of the smaller components for our trailers. These weldable clamps will allow us to clamp accessories to our tube frame. Things like roof racks, light mounts, ham antennas, fire ext brackets. ect. The roof rack welds directly to the clamp and is then clamped to the trailer. In the case of the antenna, the antenna mount is welded to the clamp and then installed. Its a pretty slick set up and makes fabricating around painted surfaces alot easyer. Feel free to check um out @ Bengels Off Road Thanks Bob:cheers:

Last edited:
Those are ok, but sure look WAY overpriced for what they are!

I am sure Bobs (Metal Twister) creation will be way sweeter! :D

Well, way sweeter? :bang: We just need to take em to the next level. Everything needs to evolve. We are just jumping up, and skipping over a couple of those eveloutionary steps. But thanks for the vote of confidence. So where are you with the race car?:clap:

Last edited:
No Sweat!

As mentioned, we are waiting until things settle down, remember? :D

Nice work on your homepage, i dig the clamp graphic, what program was that done in? Changing for the size it cool!

Just picked up my new tow rig for it, pics here: Baja Overland

I think the original question was, Where are "YOU" with the new race car. Decided what your going to build for sure?

Im not sure which program the graphic was built with. Pete over at Hotshot racing whipped that up for us. He does awsome solidworks design... I highly recommend him for any kind of design work. He's made all my napkin scribles into computer/ waterjetable drawings.

And the tow rig is just too clean!!! Did you keep the roof tent? :clap:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom