exhaust 3B?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys
I have a 1984 BJ 60 with a 3B (160000km) and it's time for an exhaust.I'm wondering if i can simply remove everything and go with a 2 1/2" straight pipe without having any problems regarding lack of back pressure.
I also just received my Richmond lock rite and wondering if you guys have any tips for the installation.
I'm having a friend build a turbo kit for my 3B and have read that the straight pipe is fine in this application.Is this true?
Located in Edmonton,Alberta

You can run straight pipe only AFTER the turbo is on. Before that it will be MUCH too loud. A diesel doesn't need back pressure. I run straight 2 1/2" pipe on my '82 and also on my daughters '76 FJ55/3B turbo.

My BJ70 with the 3BII engine without a turbo lost much power after loosing the exhaust, so i think a 3B needs back pressure.
Okay it sounds like an V8 on lower rpm, but like a german tiger tank on higher rpm.

Maybe its the adjustment of the injection pump ... not sure.

have a nice day

Thanks a lot for the input.
But how loud is too loud.Could you give me something to compare it too.
Cruiser-guy what size of rubber are you running under your BJ60.I recall a thread when you said you were getting 900km to a tank of fuel with the turbo.I'm assuming that was highway and if so what speed on average and what rpm.
I'm running BFG MT 31x10.5 and try to stay around 2000rpm with an average speed of 110km and get roughly 600km out of my tank but no turbo.
Planning on going with a skinnier tire as soon as these are do.When i do i want to squeeze a 33 under it.Is this possible without lifting it?
Cheers and thanks again guys.

Mine has stock tires and when we got 900km on a tank it was when my wife was following me and I was driving my old '83 Toyota diesel pickup (that's not very fast) so she was really easy on the fuel.
Without a turbo on the 3B or something else to quiet it down I'm SURE you'd get pulled over! That's what I mean by too loud. The turbo acts as a baffle and keeps the noise to an acceptable level. My daughter tells me her truck is loud but I haven't heard it yet. That's also a 3B with a turbo and straight 2 1/2" pipe. It may depend on the pipe routing as well. Mine runs more or less along the stock path, her's was done straighter as it was an engine swap.

Thanks again
I apppreciate all the info.I noticed that you are located in Guatemala,I have been planning on driving to South America within the next year either by motorbike or the BJ60 if i can get it finished in time.
Any suggestion?Tranny cooler?Or anything else that would give a guy a heads up.I drove to Cabo San lucas from Canada a few years back.I really enjoyed the trip,the surf and the people but i didn't have the BJ at the time.
I also just returned from from a trip to Vietnam,where i travelled the Ho chi minh trail by motorcycle.Which has made me comtemplate BJ or motorcycle.
Once again if you can provide any useful info on the trip it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

If you plan on driving to Central or South America the BJ60 is a good choice as there are parts available most everywhere EXCEPT Mexico! The "B" series Toyota diesel is quite common here.
You don't need anything out of the ordinary on your truck other than A/C which you would certainly appreciate.
Above all make sure you are in PERFECT mechanical condition. The mechanical abilities of many mechanics here is not too good, bandaid solutions but no real long term fixes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom