Evo Corse question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Prior to installing a set of Evo Corse wheels on my 2015 LX 570 I would like to paint the hubs since they will be visible due to the Evos not having center caps.

any special paint recommendations? Was thinking a flat black rustoleum?

I used a high heat automotive flat black spray paint followed by a couple applications of clear coat spray paint. Over a year of use with some good off roading and wheeling. It looks as good as day one.

I used a high heat automotive flat black spray paint followed by a couple applications of clear coat spray paint. Over a year of use with some good off roading and wheeling. It looks as good as day one.

did you have to bake the part to cure the paint?

I used a heat gun on low to help cure the paint and Reduce the dry time between coats. I did a few coats of the flat black Followed by a couple coats of clear. I can’t remember if I used a primer on the hub first. I do remember cleaning up the hub real well and doing lots of prep and taping off prior to the painting.

53CA99F6-DFF0-421B-AFC2-AB71F060D6F0.jpeg

I used a heat gun on low to help cure the paint and Reduce the dry time between coats. I did a few coats of the flat black Followed by a couple coats of clear. I can’t remember if I used a primer on the hub first. I do remember cleaning up the hub real well and doing lots of prep and taping off prior to the painting.

View attachment 2533626

what kind of paint did you use?

I don't have a long term review, but I recently hit that area with a rustoleum rust converting paint, then top coated with a "ceramic" brake caliper paint. I only used this because I had it handy from another job, not because it is the best approach. So far, so good. I did clean up the light surface rust with a brass brush and cleaned with thinner before hitting it with paint.

image.jpg

what kind of paint did you use?
I can’t recall exactly which brand, but was a Matte black exhaust manifold (header) spray paint that I picked up from an auto parts store. @CharlieS has some good techniques mentioned in his posts. Prep work is key for the paint to adhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom