Ethanol gas and Older Engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey parker do u want to come out with my mig club this weekend? We can do a cold war reinactment?

An older gentleman and I had a conversation at the truck show about some of the items contained in this news article:

A Shotgun Marriage? Ethanol and Old Outboard Boat Engines

And he reccommended trying a bottle of "Mechanic in a bottle" sold at Home Depot and other big box stores. He had used it on his older 70's Chvy truck with good results, and the 40 was showing signs of the same issues (hesitation, back-firing, cutting off).

Mechanic In a Bottle | Products |B3C Fuel Solutions

I tried it, and the 40 ran like a champ. Looks like I'll make sure only non-ethanol gas will be in the 40 from now on, since it doesn't get driven on a regular basis.

I was with Brian for part of the conversation and made note that he mentioned a yellow bottle made by the same manufacturer that he bought at Home Depot. I finally got by there today and here is a pic of both products. I think the one on the right was around $12.

MIB.jpg

Ethanol has been killing me recently. The boat is F***, lawnmower is F***, and weed-eater is struggling. The boat sat over winter, about 3-4 months with gas in the tank. I always buy at a marina which I assumed by word of mouth was ethanol free gas. Wrong...Uncle did a bunch of stuff to it and got it running, we ran it twice and its gummed up again. The boat is 2 years new, Suzuki 90. SUCKS:mad:

If you ad this stuff to an already ethanoled (sp?) up engine, does it help at all? Or is this stuff strictly preventative maintenance? Adding some Seafoam to the weed-eater helped it run, although not great. Had to buy a new mower, so trying to learn the hard way.:bang:

I think Mechanic in a Bottle is worth a try. If it were me, I try it first on the weedeater, then the mower and on the boat, only if you get good results along the way.

I've put the mechanic in a bottle in my 40, and it still bucks a few times, but I also haven't driven it a long distance or duration.

The instructions are to drain the tank, add the bottle to a gallon of fresh gas, let run up to operating temp, and shut it down. Let it set for at least 4 hours, and fire it back up.

I've added two bottles to the current tank, but didn't dispose of the gas. My next trip in the 40 is to a EtOH free gas station for a refill and another bottle...

FYI fpr the Raleigh folks...a new BP opened on Glenwood right near Duraleigh with non-ethanol gas that is slightly more expensive but not bad. My rig sounds a million times better now. Only place I've found in Raleigh that has it.

Cool... Anyone know if this could help clean out the CAT in the 4runner?

It is so weird: I'm getting the cel coming on and off with the P420 which is CAT. Never knew a cel to go off by itself without a reset so that is confusing.

I have new O2 sensors so I guess I'm stuck with new CAT which won't be a $1200 oem for sure.

The cel in my wife's 80 comes and goes as it pleases. It never will tell me a code. So I do not worry about it.

Joanna. Remember how my 40 started running like crap out there? Well, put the same gas in my zero turn and the same s***. Look in the gas cans and black crap all in them . already flushed the mower. Gonna try and just run it out of the cruiser. Not going back there again.

FYI fpr the Raleigh folks...a new BP opened on Glenwood right near Duraleigh with non-ethanol gas that is slightly more expensive but not bad. My rig sounds a million times better now. Only place I've found in Raleigh that has it.

Cool! Thanks. I have been wanting to run real gas through the 80 for a while now.

There is an app for your smart phone that will help you find stations near you that offer ethanol-free fuel. It is aptly named "Pure Gas".

Cool... Anyone know if this could help clean out the CAT in the 4runner?

It is so weird: I'm getting the cel coming on and off with the P420 which is CAT. Never knew a cel to go off by itself without a reset so that is confusing.

I have new O2 sensors so I guess I'm stuck with new CAT which won't be a $1200 oem for sure.

Fwiw, I get the same code I the 80 depending on how I drive it. I just reset and keep going. Maybe I see it 3 times a year.

The guys who just rebuilt my engine and do all of my work on my cruiser here in Charlotte told me a few years ago to only run 93 octane due to the amount of ethanol in the lower grade gases. I have since then and haven't had any issues. It's not like I drive them a ton and they said it won't kill the seals and gaskets

The cel in my wife's 80 comes and goes as it pleases. It never will tell me a code. So I do not worry about it.

Joanna. Remember how my 40 started running like crap out there? Well, put the same gas in my zero turn and the same s***. Look in the gas cans and black crap all in them . already flushed the mower. Gonna try and just run it out of the cruiser. Not going back there again.

I do remember-that sucks! You know how I told you pappy was shutting down when I stopped? I adjusted the carb and it was still happening. I had to drive with the choke partway out but ran down that tank and filled with this new gas and he is back to running great! I used pure-gas.org like David said...great site but not a lot of options.

Well in the 4Runner today cel was off, filled up there with this magical gas and cel came on 2 miles down the road after filling up.

I don't think it was the gas, but funny timing.

I do want to try this gas in the 40 to see if I can tell a difference.

That gas station has about every difference gas option I've ever heard of.

I REALLY recommend it in the older carbed vehicles. I have seen / heard the difference in mine alone. 2 of them.Actually had to readjust the carb to get it to run so much better. But i have also found if you adjust for the eth free stuff and stop running it you will have to readjust the carb as it will not run the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom