Engine turning-Metal finish question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone here have any experience with engine turning a curved piece of metal at home? I know that Eastwood makes an engine turning kit and I have a drill press, but the curvature of the piece concerns me. The piece in question is a motorcycle gas tank.

Any help, tips, warnings, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

ummm.... be repetitive? :D

(never done it myself... :))

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that it was called engine turning. I've been doing that at work here and there,it comes out allright.On a flat piece of sheet that wooden dowel trick would be great,but on a tank,I'd use a small course scotch-brite pad on a 90 deg. diegrinder.I've been using the center of the swirl for alingment,and overlapping halfway.If you want it really accurate line it out with pencil,or sharpie and clean off whats left when done. Hope that helps a little.;)

Engine turning on contoured surfaces is more art than science and I suck at art, so...:hillbilly: It's been a long time, but my tool of choice for rounded surfaces was a suction cup type valve lapping tool and steel wool.

Cut that valve lapping tool (good idea) in half stick it in your drill,or drill press,some coarse compound and I bet that would ROCK on a curved surface. I'd like to see a tank done that way.
Pics!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom