Engine/Tranny question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to the international posts, so if this is a repeat question, please excuse it and send me in the right direction. I have owned an 82 FJ40 for a few years now and am looking to exchange the 2F for a diesel. My future hopes would be to run biodiesel on this engine. My question is about the tranny compatability. What diesel engines will mount up to my existing H42 tranny without any modification? I can't afford to get everything in one package; engine, tranny and t-case. Thanks for the help.

The 3B was mated to the H42 on BJ42s, 81-82. However, there are probably bell housing or output shaft differences that the true gurus like Wayne or Greg B or others can tell you about. I would think though that any modifications, if needed, would be relatively easy and cheap with used spare parts from Canuck rigs. I would start looking for a 3B.

Non-Yota diesels will mate to it but you will have to get Advance Adapter kits, do new engine mounts, etc.

However, a really awesome setup would be to put a turbo 13BT with the H55 tranny in all at once, but you're right, that's $$$

Warning: the 3B is relatively gutless, even compared to a 2F, but is turbo happy. Check the turbo thread in the FAQ for low cost turbo options.

HTH
B

If your goal is to keep the transmission/transfer, then the 3B requires a different input on the transmission. F series and H series motors have the same transmission input shafts while the B series are fine spline instead of the normal 10spline.

These guys will tell you about motor placement and whether a 3B goes in the same place as your 2F, but you wont easily be able to keep your transmission and throw in a 3B.

Well, there is a thought for you. Perhaps you could put your bellhousing and clutch disk from your 2F on a 3B and go from there...

trollcruiser said:
I am new to the international posts, so if this is a repeat question, please excuse it and send me in the right direction. I have owned an 82 FJ40 for a few years now and am looking to exchange the 2F for a diesel. My future hopes would be to run biodiesel on this engine. My question is about the tranny compatability. What diesel engines will mount up to my existing H42 tranny without any modification? I can't afford to get everything in one package; engine, tranny and t-case. Thanks for the help.

Brett here on the Board (runs under dieselbigot) has a pristine turboed 3B with a 5 speed transmission and a rebuilt transfer case for sale, including some of the relays you will need. This would be the optimal combo for you.
J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom