Elk Chili... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
Another simple meal...

Saute some onion and garlic with olive oil in the cast iron. Last minute add some fresh cilantro, remove from pan and save..

Brown Elk burger in the skillet and dump into a large pot (w/lid).
Dump in the onion/garlic/cilantro mix with:
1 can Rotel hot.
1 can of kidney beans w/liquid
1 can of pinto beans w/liquid
1 can of Hunts fire rosted tomatoes
1 small can of garlic tomatoe sauce
Add a package of chili seasons

Cornbread would be a great addition, but tonight, it's freash handmade tortillas from the beautiful hispanic ladies from Mammoth, Az..
100_1011.jpg
100_1012.jpg

Mexicans taste like tortillas??:meh:

I've cooked deer and antelope chili and it was pretty good. Not as good as beef, though.

fine looking meal

Started some Nilgai chili tonight. I didn't have everything I needed, but hopefully it will be decent.

-1 chopped, sautéed onion in olive oil.
-4 lbs of cubed random Nilgai meat, tossed in chili powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper. Browned and drained (no fat, just water & blood from meat).
-3 cans tomato sauce plus 2 cans water
-Combined all and added some more of the spices listed above. Will adjust after it cooks a while.

I worked hard for this meat, so it always tastes a little better because of that.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

^ looks like a nice chile colorado! skewered some chunked and herbed elk loin last week...I only have a few meals worth left and I'm already starting to whine about it :D

I only have a few meals worth left and I'm already starting to whine about it :D

I know the feeling, I'm going to pick up the bulk of my meat this weekend from the processor and found out I'm having to split a little more heavily with the landowner (my MIL). All good though, we wouldn't be Nilgai hunting without her. Hopefully will be enough to get us to the next harvest.

Well my chili meat is a bit dry. Not sure if it is because of all the liquid that came out when browned the meat, or if I cubed it too big. Some of the meat was hind quarter and tough to cut. I'll try to salvage it and chop up the meat a little finer.

Update: Shredded the meat and it tastes much better. Not bad for a fat free chili without all the ingredients I like. I'll add some bacon & sausage next time.

Last edited:
Time for a thread revival?

image26905.jpg

I wish I could say I sourced the elk myself, but it is nice to have generous friends. My bird-hunting partner gave me 4 pounds of excellent ground sausage :)

Chopped onions, garlic (loads), generic chili powder, hatch chili powder, cumin, cayenne, thyme, oregano, chopped poblano, a cup beef stock, half can of Pabst, can of diced tomatoes, and one can each of kidney and black beans. "No-bean" purists look away!

It's going to cook for another hour or so. I'm looking forward to the heat!

Edit: Doesn't disappoint :)
20220205_190440.jpg

Butt

Last edited:
Well, not chile but I made a nice bolognese sauce from some ground elk I had in the freezer...and it was super foil for the crepe wrapped braised short rib cannelloni!

For whatever reason chile hasn't been made at our place this winter but thanks to this reminder thread...I guess I'll take some wild bighorn sheep meat out of the freezer for same :)

Another simple meal...

Saute some onion and garlic with olive oil in the cast iron. Last minute add some fresh cilantro, remove from pan and save..

Brown Elk burger in the skillet and dump into a large pot (w/lid).
Dump in the onion/garlic/cilantro mix with:
1 can Rotel hot.
1 can of kidney beans w/liquid
1 can of pinto beans w/liquid
1 can of Hunts fire rosted tomatoes
1 small can of garlic tomatoe sauce
Add a package of chili seasons

Cornbread would be a great addition, but tonight, it's freash handmade tortillas from the beautiful hispanic ladies from Mammoth, Az..
View attachment 381768View attachment 381769
You CANNOT make Chili with beans--regardless of the meat used-- The CASI an INCS do Not recognize real Chili as having beans added to the concoction--you may add beans to accompany a chili as a side dish, but it may not have beans as an ingredient to the cooking method. Chili is defined as "dead cow meat and Chili peppers"(1886). Over the years, the definition has morphed into allowing tomatoes, and other ingredients(garlic, onions, oregano, etc.), at the the expense of pure ingredients, but never, ever beans.---{or cheese{maybe someone could explain how cheese was available to the cattle ranchers/drivers of 1880's ))--they didn't have it, and they didn't have time to make it)--nor did they have 2-3 months to wait till the wild tomatoes could produce fruit--they used the available veggies--ie peppers as an ingredient, thus the definiton

Haha! For sanctioned cookoff events.... sure. You gotta follow the rules and tradition.
If I'm cooking for family/friends/myself, I'll put whatever I gawdam want to put in my chili and it'll be delicious. Nobody that's offended by ingredients not used in 1880 has to eat any.
200w.gif

Full confession: I break other 19th century food traditions too. I'm freaky like that. I'm known to put jalapenos on burgers and sometimes even to enjoy pineapple on pizza!
200w.gif

The ONLY non-negotable ingredient critical to this thread is elk.
Butt

Last night's at home dinner: Elk Chili. This recipe is a little different but one of our regulars each fall & winter season.

Saute onions & garlic until starting to turn color; add Elk meat (ground or small dice...your choice); add ground cocoa (like 1/2C of it; dutch process or not doesn't matter!) cumin, finely ground coffee beans, oregano, S&P and saute for a few minutes then add 1 quart roasted pepper & tomato soup; stir to combine. I like to add cooked pinto beans but do whatever you like here: With, without or other type of bean. Simmer with lid on for an hour or so adding water as necessary to keep it at the desired consistency.

Enjoy with finely chopped white/sweet onions, fresh cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom