Electronic Map & Nav (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Even though I worked for the U S Geological Survey for 37 years, did a hitch in the Navy where navigation was my department and a lifetime around small craft where nav was occasionally used, I still feel like a real dummy when it comes to modern electronic route finding. I own three GPS units if you include my iPhone. Following an existing track or voice commands, turn here, turn there is a no brainer. But I want to learn how to create and save tracks, download maps and all the geeky stuff that Jonathan knows by heart. Just today I looked at mapping apps for iPhone and found over 16,000 options. My god, how would one choose?!

I am hoping we can use this thread to spread the knowledge gently, spoon feeding a little at a time. I realize this is asking a lot of Jonathan's time but if we do just a bit now and then.... Maybe we could even do a formal class and donate funds to compensate Jonathan.

I also recognize many will say you need basic map and compass skills first, which is true, but I want to stick with GPS mapping here.

First lesson for me would be how to use Google Earth.

Mmmmmm Maps........

Here is what I'm currently using and comments on each. Main nav device is a Garmin nuvi LM50. Big 5" screen mounted to mirror mount. Very user friendly and very easy to input data such as coordinates. Has all of US and CA in data base and has nearly every road/trail I've been on, but not all. No topography shown but does have lots of natural features such as streams and lakes. Very easy to use turn by turn guidance and tons of POIs. Two cons: track left is very faint and locks up now and then, but easy to reboot. Works nicely with the Chuck Wells chips described in the Koko thread. I believe it sells for around $150 now.

Garmin hand-held Map CS60. Had the darn thing since 2004 proving its reliability. Screen is too small for vehicle nav but gets used when on MTB or hiking. Also handy to verify data on big GPS and has lots more data such as elevation lines, peaks, mines and other natural POIs. Stays in my truck mainly so I have correct speed, mileage and elevation displayed continuously.

iPhone 4 using Google Map, Google Earth and MotionX. Really don't have enough experience with any to comment. Biggest con is you need a cell signal to use.

Also carry Gazetteers and lots of maps but find them so hard to use in the cab they don't get used a lot but are there JIC. I do try to pre-fold them to a particular area and stow in big waterproof map cases.

Probably the best trail references I carry are the Chuck Wells and Massey/Wilson guide books. But they don't cover everything.

Ace

Also this device left over from my motorcycle enduro days. It's a roll chart with all the turns from Kokopelli's Trail.

image-3653015662.jpg

"Also this device left over from my motorcycle enduro days. It's a roll chart with all the turns from Kokopelli's Trail."

I like it...an analog man in a digital world.

"Also this device left over from my motorcycle enduro days. It's a roll chart with all the turns from Kokopelli's Trail."

I like it...an analog man in a digital world.

Well, I'm trying hard to be a digital man, but its been a struggle. This roll chart is idiot proof as long as I keep remembering to scroll to each turn.

See, I am trying: just added Gaia GPS to my iPhone per Jonathan's recommendation. Going to use it to track the Koko. Now if I can just remember to start it at the trailhead.

See, I am trying: just added Gaia GPS to my iPhone per Jonathan's recommendation. Going to use it to track the Koko. Now if I can just remember to start it at the trailhead.

Good deal Ace, we can discuss tomorrow. I will put a detailed post of what has and has not worked for me up in the near future. Gaia multitasks so you do not need to leave the app open once you start tracking. You do need to reopen each day though.

Gaia GPS worked just fine after I got past a few learning hiccups, not that it is difficult to use. Best feature is that you do not need a cell signal to navigate. After you pay the upfront charge of $19.99 to download the app you can download all the maps you desire for free and there are several map display options. All in all a great tool.

I have been using AccuTerra Unlimited on iOS. It's $15 I think for the full version but it includes the AccuTerra hybrid topo maps which I really like. They seem to be the most complete for my area in terms of trails and indicating what is and is not allowed on each.

I think the app I am using on my Android Nexus7 tablet is called Backcountry Navigator. I paid the $15 again to download the AccuTerra mapset but it lets you choose from several options and import your own. I really like being able to toggle between several different map sets on the fly. It seems no one set of topo maps is complete so the ability to have 3-4 different ones downloaded and easily compare has been very useful for me. I like to do a lot of exploration on the dirtbikes and often times the trails we ride will have one section on one map but nothing on the other 3, and then the next section will be marked on a different map but totally missing on the one I was using for the first leg, etc.

It is also very easy to import/export .kml files so I can plan out a route in Google Earth and load it onto the device and also record my rides/drives and transfer them to the PC when I get home to review them.

I tested the Backcountry Navigator the other day. Seemed to work really well so I might go ahead and buy it. I think its probably better on a tablet but it worked well on my phone too.

I tested the Backcountry Navigator the other day. Seemed to work really well so I might go ahead and buy it. I think its probably better on a tablet but it worked well on my phone too.

It works really well on my 7" tablet. It is very similar to AccuTerra on my iPhone but the extra real estate and resolution really make it a lot more use friendly. I generally only use my phone as a backup and for recording routes.

I use backcountry navigator pro on my Droid and really like it. I use it for hunting and marking way points. I tracked our entire trip out to the dollbouse in the maze and sometimes have used it on search and rescue missions. The only drawback is battery life when not plugged into the LC.

Learned something about my iPhone that was driving me crazy for a while. I usually switch to airplane mode at night when in the backcountry to save battery but figured out that also shuts off the GPS from tracking. Plan to get a tablet soon for navigation.

Learned something about my iPhone that was driving me crazy for a while. I usually switch to airplane mode at night when in the backcountry to save battery but figured out that also shuts off the GPS from tracking. Plan to get a tablet soon for navigation.

There are two ways around that:

You can stop your navigation, and close the app. Then enable airplane mode and re-launch the app. You will get a pop up asking if you want to enable location services and you hit Yes. This will enable the GPS radio but leave the Cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth radios disabled.

The other option is to jailbreak your phone. You can then download one of many great control panel apps that let you turn radios on and off individually. If you are interested in going that route let me know and I can provide more detail. This is certainly more involved but has a lot of advantages, I have a "GPS Mode" macro setup that shuts off everything but GPS and loads up a very minimal power profile. Just barely enough Ooomph to run my GPS app and nothing else. This gets me a solid 2+ days of GPS tracking on a charge. The main disadvantage if there is no direct upgrade route. If you want to upgrade your iOS version you lose your jailbreak and all associated apps, you must then re-jailbreak the phone and restore your jailbreak apps. I generally lag a version or two behind because of this hassle.

If you go the Tablet route I really like the size of the 7" tablets for backpacking/backcountry use. While I am admittedly a bit of an Apple fanboy I'm using a Google Nexus7 tablet ($199 - 16GB, $249 - 32GB) and I love it. I carry it in a G-Form sleeve when backpacking and it seems to work incredibly well. It popped out of the mesh pocket on my pack, tumbled about 80ft down a sheer rock face and it was unscathed. I don't think I would have been able to find it without the bright yellow case, not that there would have been anything but some broken plastic and glass to recover...

http://g-form.com/products/extreme-sleeve-7-tablet/

Last edited:
A little bit off topic, but how do you guys keep your gadgets charged when you are out and about? I know this doesn't really apply to overlanding and car-camping but I am curious to see what everyone is using for backpacking trips and the like. I have tried many iterations and have found a setup that seems to work well for me.

I'm using a Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus:
http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-190...UTF8&qid=1368114782&sr=8-2&keywords=goal+zero

I replaced the fairly lame Goal Zero branded batteries with Eneloop XX 2500mAh AA batteries:
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-Capac...TF8&qid=1368114930&sr=8-6&keywords=eneloop+aa

This give's me 10,000mAh of juice in the battery pack. I leave the solar panel and battery pack out in the sun at camp during the day if we are base camping, or strap the panel to the back of my pack if I am moving then charge all my gadgets off the battery pack at night.

This setup was enough to keep 3 DSLR's, a Logitech MiniBoombox BT Speaker, 2 iPhone5's, 1 Google Nexus Phone, 1 Google Nexus7 Tablet and an iPad fully topped for a 5 day backpacking trip.

Wow, too techy for me....... Jailbreak??

You must really be fit if you carry all that gear when back packing.

Jailbreak means unlocking the phone so you can load un-approved third party apps. Apple has some rather restrictive policies in terms of what you can and cannot do with their device. It's been getting better over the past few years (You used to need a jailbreak just to run more than 1 application at a time!) but there are still some cool things you can do with the phone that Apple will not allow in their App Store.

Haha all that gear was the combined gadgetry of a group of 7 people. Six other people and I was the only one who actually brought a means of recharging anything!

Just saw a new App called "Peak Finder" that uses your location and direction to ID peaks on the horizon. When you tap on a peak it ads data such as height, distance and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom