Electrical issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live here in Portland and I have a bit of an issue. I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with a starting issue. The charging system has been tested and is good. The battery is good. I have tell and felt pads on battery terminal. I am still getting corrosion at terminals. Here is the deal. When you turn the key the computers and dash turn on slowly. Not immediately like normal. As if the wires were cold or not receiving enough current. while this is happening the volt meter on the dash has a low battery pull. Once the system is up and running the battery has full power. When I turn the key I either get nothing or the motor will turn over three times but no start. I can repeat this process several times and the FJ will eventually start. If I were to get a jump the FJ will start right up. Any ideas on where to troubleshoot?

I live here in Portland and I have a bit of an issue. I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with a starting issue. The charging system has been tested and is good. The battery is good. I have tell and felt pads on battery terminal. I am still getting corrosion at terminals. Here is the deal. When you turn the key the computers and dash turn on slowly. Not immediately like normal. As if the wires were cold or not receiving enough current. while this is happening the volt meter on the dash has a low battery pull. Once the system is up and running the battery has full power. When I turn the key I either get nothing or the motor will turn over three times but no start. I can repeat this process several times and the FJ will eventually start. If I were to get a jump the FJ will start right up. Any ideas on where to troubleshoot?
I’m no expert, but I would check your ground lines.

FWIW, we have a 2016 Highlander that had the same issue. Clean the terminals and a month or two later they’re corroded again. The fix for me was to remove the battery (OEM), clean the terminals and cables ends, and install a new interstate battery.

when you say that the charging system was checked and it was confirmed in good order, does that include the battery?

when you’re running and not cranking the alternator is providing the voltage.

FWIW, we have a 2016 Highlander that had the same issue. Clean the terminals and a month or two later they’re corroded again. The fix for me was to remove the battery (OEM), clean the terminals and cables ends, and install a new interstate battery.

when you say that the charging system was checked and it was confirmed in good order, does that include the battery?

when you’re running and not cranking the alternator is providing the voltage.
I have done all of that. I even cut some corroded wire out. Yes the battery was tested and is good. Thanks for getting back to me. Appreciate it.

how was the battery tested that you are concluding it is good? how old is the battery and type? do you have a multimeter and can see what voltage the battery is at prior to starting with it off, and while running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom