Electric power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone installed electric power steering on an early rig?

Here’s the link to the one City Racer offers:

Wondering if it’s possible to retain the column shift without too much extra work.

Same boat, want power steering, but will not change to floor shift. I have a pto too,so fj60 box will be my choice( this should work with a 60 box)

Yeah I converted to floor shift to go 4 speed (for now). Was not excited about it but the drivability is great. I left all the column shift stuff in place because we’re going to work on a 4 speed top plate to make the 4 speed work with the column shift. I know some work was done in the past on this but we’re going to start from scratch. And the 3FE interference with the stock column shift is pretty significant so I’d rather tackle it all at once.

-4 speed Column shift
-Power steering
-Tranny hump

We’ll see.

City Racer sells top notch products, but there are good DIY kits that can save you a ton of money. See link below to epowersteering.com. They have a kit that I read about in the past.

epowersteering.com kits

I believe @abqcruiser converted to electric power steering on his FJ55. He may chime in on on his experience with it. The motors can be taken off a Saturn Vue but epowersteering put together a full kit to save some time rummaging through a junkyard. The debate I have in my own mind is that converting to hydraulic power steering (60 or 80 box) also takes out the relay rod/rocker out of the system and makes the steering more direct. There are pros and cons of each but if you keep the "stock" steering box then these electric kits will achieve the goal of lowering the muscle needed to turn.

Thanks for the info and link. The more options the better.

Definitely thought about whether keeping all the current linkage would work against power steering. The truck drives straight and true but there is about a 3” steering wheel deflection (both left and right) until it “grabs”. Tightening all that up would most likely be easier with a 60 series setup rather than rehabbing all the current components.

@DomSmith reviving an old thread, did you ever find out what other fab work is needed besides modify the column shift? Also is cityracer the cheapest place to source this kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom