Electric 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For sure.
I hope the technology progresses (it's inevitable) to the point of several hundred mile retrofits for the regular consumer. Plus, some improved solar panels to extend range even more.
I'd be open to it.
Toyota recently announced a major EV initiative. I hope electric propulsion makes it possible to get the 70 Series into the U.S., since it would not run into any hurdles with the EPA. I'm not sure if the car can pass the safety requirements, but that should be a less formidable challenge.

Last edited:
Safety and NHTSA rules are formidable.

Just cause it has the same power plant (or similar) doesn’t mean it’s going to be any easier to get in.

As I’ve said many times, the US will never see new factory 7x trucks. Just not gonna happen

The "correct" mod would be to place lithium ion batteries on the floor. That will allow space for larger battery packs, and promote safety at the same time. The "skateboard" configuration is inherently safer, because the battery enhances lateral rigidity. Of course, such a mod would have to come from Toyota. Any aftermarket conversion will be constrained by the fact that the vehicle was originally designed to host an internal combustion engine up front. I think Toyota can create a "70 Series like" truck that can be sold as a global vehicle.

Of course, Toyota can do lots of things, but somehow the U.S. always ends up getting the soccer mom models.

Dual cab 79 with bed extended by 27cm (to accommodate wheelbase differences) dropped onto the Rivian R1T skateboard platform. 400+ mile range, 0-60 in 3+ seconds, wading depth of 3', payload of 800kg and towing capacity of 5000kg.

R1T
Wheelbase 3450 mm
Track width 1710 mm
Length 5475 mm

DC 79
Wheelbase 3180 mm
Track width 1500ish mm
Length 5220 mm

Edit: Oh, and what @Onur said above

I hope electric propulsion makes it possible to get the 70 Series into the U.S

The 7* series will be gone within 4-5 years according to Toyota Australia.Its based on a 35 year old design and even Australia's lax vehicle laws are struggling to accommodate it. I predict an upgraded Hilux type model will replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom