EGTs and Low Sulphur Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a relationship between the above?

My EGT runs at around 80 deg C at idle and in town i rarely see much more than 250 degs. On steep Inclines, fully loaded, I can reach 650-700 degs.
I added a diesel conditioner (Flashlube I think) a couple of months ago and my EGT spiked to 600degs without load under normal (unstressed) driving conditions with idle temps around 200-300 with intermittent spikes causing me to switch off on several occasions.

Once that tank had been depleted - all was back to normal and i ditched the rest of that fuel additive.

I filled up for the first time with low sulphur diesel (nothing else was available) and idle temps doubled as well as temps during normal driving.

Do I have a hyper-sensitive 1HZ or what? Or some other air/fuel problem?
I have no DPF or emissions crap.
Insights appreciated

Following. I used a bottle of diesel additive once and it started smoking until I ran the tank down.

Was it a diesel fuel additive?

My thoughts, flashlube is probably a high octane hydrocarbon, and or alcohol solvent??

If so, the atomised fuel infected into the cylinder ignites slightly earlier, causing the flame to propogate faster through the atomised diesel.
Potentially putting more heat into the cylinders earlier in the combustion cycle.

LPG injection systems do similar, raising EGTs

Your EGT sounds too low at idle. Most engines hot idle around 130-170C.

If you're not turbocharged why are you measuring EGT?

I run a low pressure turbo. Could this be making the difference?

I didn’t install it but i imagine no more than 10psi

Is there a relationship between the above?
Hard to say, but if, then not as much as you mentioned. I have a Merc OM314 and I don't have a big difference between 10ppm or 500ppm Diesel.

My EGT runs at around 80 deg C at idle and in town i rarely see much more than 250 degs. On steep Inclines, fully loaded, I can reach 650-700 degs.
EGT up- or downstream of the turbine? Mine is running with a retrofit turbo in idle a little bit hotter, the other values would fit for mine as well. My sensor is installed upstream of the turbine.

Mine is also upstream - OK good to know figures are comparable - thanks for the replies
Hard to say, but if, then not as much as you mentioned. I have a Merc OM314 and I don't have a big difference between 10ppm or 500ppm Diesel.

EGT up- or downstream of the turbine? Mine is running with a retrofit turbo in idle a little bit hotter, the other values would fit for mine as well. My sensor is installed upstream of the turbine.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom