EGR valve going... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck started running rough and would not idle without the choke so I checked things out and applied vacuum to the top of the EGR valve and as normal, it almost stalled. When I removed vacuum, it seemed as if something was dislodged (dirt or carbon build up) because then it ran OK again. Is this a sign the EGR valve is dirty inside? I see NAPA sells them for $220, but CoolCruisers sells them (Special Order) for $189. Or is there a way to clean it out. Thanks. 1987 fj60; 2f.

nah, there is a valve or something in there.
you should put a vac line on there and suck a few times. will dislodge the stuff, and you can hear it drop back down. seems fine for another year or so.

My new EGR valve would stick sometimes when I first drove it. Use the hand pump on it a few times and try and free it up more. Also pull the EGR valve modulator where the vacuum hose come off the top of the valve. You can pull the top off the EGR modulator and there is a filter pad. Clean it out good and put it back together. See how that helps. I would give it some time and try this before changing it out. Maybe a last resort would be to spray a little lubricate in the top of valve through the vacuum inlet. Then work it up and down with your hand pump and take it for a drive.

I've used Seafoam spray in mine to help remove carbon buildup. Seems to have fixed my bucking and surging problem a while back. Remove it and spray it in the bottom and side ports where the exhaust pipes connect. Let it sit overnight, then spray it some more. I wouldn't spray Seafoam in the very top vacuum fitting, as I think it will break down rubber components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom