EGR - Can it wait? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-

I finally had a chance to check my intermittent check engine light. It's the ERG circuit. I know what it does, but do I need to fix it right away or can I continue with my other baselining and PM? In other words, will it do harm if I don't get to it for a month or two?

Thanks,
-Randy

No real hurry unless it's causing pinging. Even then you can address other more serious concerns but pinging isn't good.

my lack of functioning EGR actually made my mileage better. been enjoying the warm cel glow for over 2 years now. makes up for my lack of D light :steer:

that said. if it were me, i'd ignore it for as long as you can...if it is insufficient flow code...P0410. the egr police will tell you to get it fixed and that if you dont, your LX's engine will seize on the highway and you'll crash into a schoolbus of nuns and children.

if you dont have smog testing, just either leave it (or rip it out) and do the resistor mod...

It does effect engine performance.

d0ubledown said:
fixed it for ya...

Well, yeah...if the VSV is stuck open. :duh:

EGR repair can wait. I drove around without thinking about this repair for 2 years. But I didn't have any pinging.

Many people have gone step by step on this problem to solve it.

I dove into this last week. I replaced a bunch of hoses and by passed the port through the upper intake manifold by simply running hose from the EGR valve direct to the VSV. I did not do any testing on the VSV for EGR, EGR valve, or EGR modulator to see if they were working properly. I finally reset the EFI fuse this week and so far the light has not come back on, but I only have 1 day in the truck since the EFI reset.

After the hose replacement, I am positive the engine is idling smoother and running better at 80mph.

At some point soon, I am going to order OEM hose, EGR Valve, EGR Modulator, VSV for EGR, and the temp sensor located near the EGR. When I take everything apart to install the new stuff, I'll clean out the manifold intake that runs direct from the EGR Vavle into the manifold.

It's probably overkill to replace all of it, but the truck is 15 years old at this point and I am sure stuff is not working as well as it did new. Since the CEL is on for PO 401, I see it as an excuse to replace this stuff with new.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to put this on the back burner and move forward with my baselining and other more pertinent fixes.

-Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom