Educate me on 1996 & up 4Runners and Tacomas. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

I'm a 40 Series guy, I've owned a FJ40 since late 1996.

After many years my 1991 daily driver is getting a bit "long in the tooth" so I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the 1996 or newer Toyota Tacomas or 4Runners.

Can anyone direct me to a FAQ or something else that can answer basic questions about these rigs?

Thank you!

Alan

Last edited:
Here is another write up link.
ToyotaOffRoad.com - History of the Toyota 4Runner

There are changes to the 3rd gens the last few years as far as no tranny options, no more rear locker etc but other good ideas.
I think 99 runners stood the tallest, the cup holder in the center console a very good thing, a rear e locker on earlier 3rd gens a good thing, just my 2 cents

I have had 99 tacoma, a 99 4runner, and currently have an 02 tacoma. The 4runner was bulletproof. Was by far the fastest 5VZfe I have driven. My 99 had a 2.7l v6- it was a dog, but still ran like a top. I would get at 3rd gen 4runner if the maint was up to date. Great platforms.

Hi All:

Thanks for the links!

Anyone know what years the Tacoma extra-cab and/or 4Runner was offered with the 2.7L I-4 and a five-speed manual transmission?

Thanks much!

Alan

The 4 runner with an inline 4 and manual was available 1996 through 2000 I believe.

I too have both and find both of them to be pretty much bulletproof. I love the smooth ride and extra
sound dampening in my 01' LTD 4Runner, makes for a great daily driver. Funny, what I want to add
to my family is a stock, mustard 40 series.

Hi All:

Thanks "Duane." Do you know, does the trim level of the vehicle restrict what drive train it was available with? I'm assuming that the four cylinder and five-speed combo would be considered basic, so only in base-level trim 'Runners?

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------
The 4 runner with an inline 4 and manual was available 1996 through 2000 I believe.

Hi Alan
A 2.7 Litre 4runner is a pretty rare find here in western Canada. Quebec seems to have more of them as I often search online ads such as autotrader.com etc. Ontario and Quebec use so darn much road salt that a used vehicle takes a beating.
Mine is an SR5 but has the automatic. I don't recall ever seeing a Limited offered with a 2.7 but they regularly had both transmission options. I have only seen the 2.7Litre in base and SR5 trims. The last 2 units I believe that I saw with 2.7 L & manuals were base units...
I would think it varies state to state even perhaps as well as US or Canada as to what options were available and what packages the dealers brought in. Mine has antilock brakes, 16 inch rims, rear defrost, power mirrors and locks but manual windows??
I would search the used online websites such as autotrader.com and see what is common in the northwest area. Perhaps you can find a Limited 2.7 L manual if that is your wish.

Hi All:

Another question for you Tacoma and (late-model) 4Runner experts.

I know the early four cylinder Tacomas came with manual locking hubs on the front axle - what was the last year they came with the manual hubs?

Were the late-model 4Runners *ever* equipped with the manual hubs?

Thanks for the info!

Alan

Hi All:

Another question for you Tacoma and (late-model) 4Runner experts.

I know the early four cylinder Tacomas came with manual locking hubs on the front axle - what was the last year they came with the manual hubs?

Were the late-model 4Runners *ever* equipped with the manual hubs?

Thanks for the info!

Alan

Manual hubs can be retrofitted on the newer rigs without to much hassle - not sure when they stopped using them OEM.

Manual hubs have benefits - and drawbacks. Most guys consider the auto hubs to be a stronger design and if you do break one they are supposed to be easier to field repair.

Hi All:

I thought Toyota had gone to some sort of "center differential disconnect" system on later 4Runners and Tacomas.

I would like to avoid all that marlarky, even auto hubs for the matter.

Thanks!

Alan

i have never seen a 96-00 4runner with manual locking hubs from the factory but I know they can be retro fitted. I think someone on here did it. i will look and see if I can find the thread.

manual hubs werent available on 4runners...only tacomas from 96-00 i think. pretty much most of the ones ive seen have been lower trimmed models. here in canada, there wasnt the market for smaller motor'd manual tranny'd tacos and 4runners. but down in the US the market for them is large...esp 2wd vehicles. the ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) is actually a good strong system. adding oem manual hubs to tacomas is and 4 runners a straight swap...but youll need EVERTYHING from the diff out. cv's, knuckles, hubs, etc. its not just slapping on hubs like the mini setup. ADD shafts are relatively thicker thus stronger, but with manual hubs, if you snap and dont have a spare, you can limp out after pulling the shaft. with ADD, you'll need to pop in a new shaft. yanking add shafts are 1 nut on the axle 4 on the bottom of the steering knuckle. manual hub shafts...youll need to pull off the hubs of course, then cone washers...etc. you can see where a flanged hub can be an easier trail fix. i wanted to put manual hubs on my 4runner...but didnt see much advantage to the amount of money spent. i opted for a front ARB instead.

check this site for more info: Do it yourself, Tacoma Manual Hub Swap

00-02 runners have a multi mode drive sys. 2WD, AWD, and 4X4 when the center diff is locked. 01-02's came in auto only. runners are japanese made, with full length boxed frames. tacos are US made, with partial boxed frames. rear half of taco frames are just C channel.

check yotatech.com or ultimateyota.com FAQ's for 3rd gen runner info and ttora.com for everything that is taco.

good luck in your search!

Hi. I own a 99 Tacoma that I have been slowly buiulding up for a while for moderate wheelin'. The Tacomas & 4Runners you are referring to are 1995.5-2004 Tacomas and 1996-2002 4Runners. I do believe the manual hubs were option for 95.5-00, Tacomas only. I do have ADD on mine and haven't had problems after 3+ years but do realize the CV's are always turning and adds wear to the joints. A friend with the 2000 4Runner claims the 00 model year is the tallest OEM Runner? The 4Runners came manual tranny option till 00 and the Tacomas up to 04 except with crew cab. There are many hundred thousand Tacomas being called back under extended frame warranty for corrosion issues. The extended warranty covers ALL models from 95.5-04 with specific V.I.N. #'s being targeted. There is the typical J-shifter for 4WD as well as the "push button " type available. 4Runners are coil spring all the way through production I believe, and the 95.5-97 Tacomas used the shorter rear leafs similar to the 94 and older P/U's, then changed them to the ones found in the 98-04's. Certain 4Runners especially Limited's had the larger front calipers and 16 inch wheels. Tacomas got 16 inch wheel stock in 00-04 and the introduction of the 4:30 gear ratio. Gear ratios are your basic 2WD stuff and these 4X4 and Pre-Runner ratios 3:90,4:10, 4:30 and 4:56 stock ring and pinion with 4:56 the rarest as I have never seen this one personally. Rear E-Locker was found in most TRD option Tacomas but could be ordered spearately in the SR5 option trim on Tacomas and 4Runners. The E-Locker diff runs a true 8 inch rear while the non-Locker diff is a true 8.4 inch. I have the E-Locker stock and have simply wired the 4WD computer so that I can lock in 2WD and 4WD Hi as well as intended 4WD Lo., There are things I have probably left out but hope this helps. :)

Hi All:

Thanks for all the info guys! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

I have a 96 Xtra cab V6. Owned it since new. Runs great and passed frame inspection. They are a great truck-plenty of power and comfortable. If I had the money, I'd put a solid front axle on it and wheel.

I'm searching for a '99 or '00 4runner in place of my 94 LC.

Any appreciable difference in gas mileage between the 2x4 and 4x4 4runner with the 3.4L?

If this site is correct---- then 1 mpg city and highway difference between a 2 and 4 wheel drive
Find a Car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom