Edgestar FP 630 repairs. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
I have an Edgestar FP630 fridge with a bad temperature sensor. I have confirmed the sensor is the issue by cutting the wires to it and splicing in a new one outside of the cabinet. I have been searching for a repair procedure and all I have been able to come up with is it is not "field replaceable" and has to go back to the factory. In that case I am scratching my head because they sold me a sensor....:doh:

It appears the cabinet is foamed in and there is no identifiable way to disassemble it without prying it apart.

Anyone?

If you know where the sensor is mounted, you could cut away the case over the top of it, dig out the foam, and replace it.

Might be easier to get from the outside in. Did you try to remove the outside sheet metal?
On mine, the little shelf over the compressor appears to have a siliconed seam on both sides. Maybe that could be cut and gently pried out?
I will say though that I just disassembled a kitchen fridge and the foam that was used for insulation stuck to the metal like there is no tomorrow. Had to use a saber saw to disassemble panels. I would hesitate to dig in very much.
Simplest, you could just stick the sensor inside the fridge with the wires coming out through the lid and use it like that. One could argue it may even be more accurate since it'd measure the inside instead of the inner wall temp.

To provide closure I will outline the fix I ended up doing.

After stumbling around for some time I found an old thread on Expedition Portal that discussed this issue. There were no photos and sketchy descriptions but the net result is that the sensor is buried between the inner liner and the outer cabinet and the entire space is foamed in. This requires cutting up something. The fellow that repaired his ended up cutting into the cabinet (he did not disclose if he went from the inside out or vise-versa) and fitting the new sensor, foaming it in and then patching things up.

I was not inclined to hack into the cabinet so I figured out a way to skin the cat without gutting it first.

I removed the power socket, controller and the transformer from the cabinet to gain access from underneath.
20170219_143157.jpg

I then used an ice pick from below and shoved it up through the existing grommet and pierced the inner cabinet. I then opened up the hole in the aluminum liner and cleaned up the rough edges. The next step was to run the wires for the new sensor from inside the cabinet down into the compressor compartment.
20170219_143209.jpg

The next step is to run the new sensor wires along the corners of the inner cabinet and then cover them with aluminum tape. Not the most elegant fix but it beats chopping the liner up and then closing the wounds. The end result is not much different and a lot less invasive...
20170219_153529.jpg

I'm not an Edgestar fan and I got this fridge second hand so it was worth the effort to fix it. ARB is a vastly superior as well as vastly more expensive. One does get what he pays for however. When it really matters my ARB is the go-to fridge. The Edgestar goes out as well when we travel with more than one rig. My wife took ownership of the ARB (although she said ice chests were fine and I was foolish to want a fridge) so I ended up with the step-child Edgestar......:lol:

I want a second fridge and Edgestar has the great Chinesium price, but threads like this make me think paying for Engel quality might just be worth it.

Good fix though.

In defense of the fridge I've had it for ~5 years and the sensor shot craps over Christmas. We were using it as an over-flow freezer for game meat processing. Fortunately it broke in the always running and still freezing mode. It would have been hard on the lettuce tho...:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom