ECU tuning 100 series and lx470 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would think the best choice in ecu would be the one that gives you the most control. Maybe not the most user friendly out of the box, but has the capability to control the most things. I'm pretty dead set on getting a megasquirt so that I can set it up exactly how I need to in order to run as a piggyback to the OEM ECU. If you're not the DIY type, get ready to start spending on somebody who is willing to figure this all out for you.

If you think Lextreme is unhelpful for UZ performance modding... I don't even know what to say.

I want ecu that control more things in my car to it be more safe. thank you for your advice if you have more thing writ it her it will help me and will help all people.

I want ecu that control more things in my car to it be more safe. thank you for your advice if you have more thing writ it her it will help me and will help all people.

Given how capable you are presenting yourself as, you better have one hell of a big budget. You also haven't stated what your goal of having this ecu is. The is nothing that is going to be plug and play with a tune. There isn't a stock aftermarket tune like with BMW 335s etc. You will be looking at extensive dyno time to get much more than a little bit of HP. It will also likely greatly reduce the longevity of the engine to tune this very much. If you want to something already proven and are willing to drop some coin, you would likely be much better served by just buying a used TRD supercharger for 4-5k.

FWIW just buying a used TRD supercharger and nothing else won't be worth the 4-5k you mention imo. You'll still need the ecu and tuning to get the proper power out of it, as well as supporting engine modifications to support the additional power. @offroad1 to be specific (tuning and custom wire harness required): Link G4 XtremeX, MegaSquirt MS3Pro Ultimate, AEM Infinity Series 7 I have heard being used on the UZ. No plug n play.

FWIW just buying a used TRD supercharger and nothing else won't be worth the 4-5k you mention imo. You'll still need the ecu and tuning to get the proper power out of it, as well as supporting engine modifications to support the additional power. @offroad1 to be specific (tuning and custom wire harness required): Link G4 XtremeX, MegaSquirt MS3Pro Ultimate, AEM Infinity Series 7 I have heard being used on the UZ. No plug n play.
My supercharged engine would beg to differ from your opinion.

They are taking about tuning a naturally aspirated engine. That won't be much less if they need someone else to tune it on a dyno. What can they expect to see for hp. Not much would be my guess.

They are taking about tuning a naturally aspirated engine. That won't be much less if they need someone else to tune it on a dyno. What can they expect to see for hp. Not much would be my guess.

with new ecu or plag and play power of engine will be increased and I will not drop. additional to that there will be more safe thing for example I can control A/F using maf, map and o2 sensor, they can be more controlled than it was stock

I got my MAP ECU3 installed today. Was very easy I should have done it months ago. I have it installed with only the bare minimums to control fuel and ignition timing but it's easy to add other stuff in the future. The PC software is clunky and buggy but so far very functional.

I just bumped ignition timing 3 degrees across the board and can notice it already even though I'm only running 85-octane gas. Can't wait to start fine-tuning.

HsV9yhT.png

g7lUuwb.png

Here is the diagram I used to wire it in, note I am not using the "AFR Sensor Calibrator" that add-on is only if you need to adjust fuel in closed-loop conditions which doesn't apply to N/A vehicles. I may need to add that in the future if I add a turbo.

nMJLvvQ.png

there is way to I make (map3) plag and play
PM me I can build you a PNP wire harness.

It's a 4.7L V8. It should make more than 235HP in the earlier versions or 275HP in the later versions. It just should make more horsepower. The Chevy 4.8L V8 makes 295HP with worse technology (single cam, no VVT, pushrods) and the newest version the L20 4.8L V8 makes over 300HP.

The obvious reason is because Toyota designed it to be very low stress and robust with reliability being far more important than max performance and the ability to run on crappy gas and without maintenance etc etc. People in the Tundra community have been getting 310, 315 horsepower or even more out of these engines naturally aspirated.

The TRD supercharger is only available for the earlier engines, and even then it's a blackbox where you bolt it on and plug in the new ECU and go, it's probably not tuned anywhere near the max level of performance it's capable of either. Toyota claims 118HP gain from the supercharger for a total of 353.

315 out of a souped up VVT engine might give that TRD SC truck a run for it's money. You know I intend try if we ever pull side-by-side on the highway :D

I just did some before and after runs with my Dragy (Amazon.com: dragy 10Hz GPS Based Performance Meter: GPS & Navigation) to confirm. Running on just cheap 85-octane gas right now. I will run through the rest of this tank and see what my MPG looks like and then continue tuning on E85.

The following are the best of 3 runs each after dialing in my curve a little bit. I think there is still more to go, it definitely likes more timing advance in the upper RPM range and less in the low end.

0-30 MPH0-60 MPH1/4 mile
Stock4.55 sec14.25 sec19.70s @ 68.4 MPH
With Timing adjustment4.20 sec13.26 sec19.24s @ 69.4 MPH

Before:
enOMNlb.png

tOq9UFN.png

After:
DAx0Cqa.png

Ci0U1Or.png

Reactions: GTV
I got my MAP ECU3 installed today. Was very easy I should have done it months ago. I have it installed with only the bare minimums to control fuel and ignition timing but it's easy to add other stuff in the future. The PC software is clunky and buggy but so far very functional.

I just bumped ignition timing 3 degrees across the board and can notice it already even though I'm only running 85-octane gas. Can't wait to start fine-tuning.

HsV9yhT.png

g7lUuwb.png

Here is the diagram I used to wire it in, note I am not using the "AFR Sensor Calibrator" that add-on is only if you need to adjust fuel in closed-loop conditions which doesn't apply to N/A vehicles. I may need to add that in the future if I add a turbo.

nMJLvvQ.png

I think you can use close loop with n/a.
how to I (PM )you

HsV9yhT.png

g7lUuwb.png

nMJLvvQ.png

you have done nice jop keep updating with new things are you working in.

Just made a little video showing the piggyback install and software:

Is there anyone else doing what you are doing with the 100 series? Seems like you are taking tuning in a direction that didn't exist before. Well done! I am excited to see where this goes.

What are you anticipating will be the factors that limit the HP gains?

I just did some before and after runs with my Dragy (Amazon.com: dragy 10Hz GPS Based Performance Meter: GPS & Navigation) to confirm. Running on just cheap 85-octane gas right now. I will run through the rest of this tank and see what my MPG looks like and then continue tuning on E85.

The following are the best of 3 runs each after dialing in my curve a little bit. I think there is still more to go, it definitely likes more timing advance in the upper RPM range and less in the low end.

0-30 MPH0-60 MPH1/4 mile
Stock4.55 sec14.25 sec19.70s @ 68.4 MPH
With Timing adjustment4.20 sec13.26 sec19.24s @ 69.4 MPH

Before:
enOMNlb.png

tOq9UFN.png

After:
DAx0Cqa.png

Ci0U1Or.png

I see data. I like data. Nice work!

I agree the 2UZ is probably tuned to be a slug. A very reliable, very robust slug.

Timing advance and fuel trim could probably net you some significant mpg and power. You might only make it to 350k instead of 550k miles before a BHG or something, haha. Worthy trade off for many!

I'd also be interested in a turbo setup. I think a very mild bit of boost would be amazing in that engine. just give me 4 psi on a small turbo and I'd be happy as a clam. Excited to see where you go!

I see data. I like data. Nice work!

I agree the 2UZ is probably tuned to be a slug. A very reliable, very robust slug.

Timing advance and fuel trim could probably net you some significant mpg and power. You might only make it to 350k instead of 550k miles before a BHG or something, haha. Worthy trade off for many!

I'd also be interested in a turbo setup. I think a very mild bit of boost would be amazing in that engine. just give me 4 psi on a small turbo and I'd be happy as a clam. Excited to see where you go!

The TRD supercharger does 5 psi. Surely you want at least what a lowly supercharger can do... ;)

The TRD supercharger does 5 psi. Surely you want at least what a lowly supercharger can do... ;)

Haha, I'll let the Supra handle the fast life. The LX can live a slightly less sluggish life and I'll be happy. Though I must say, coming from a 4 speed 99, my 06LX already feels like a bit of a race-bus.

Haha, I'll let the Supra handle the fast life. The LX can live a slightly less sluggish life and I'll be happy. Though I must say, coming from a 4 speed 99, my 06LX already feels like a bit of a race-bus.

I have a tuned 335i with an N54 so I totally understand what you are saying! No amount on HP is going to hide the 7000lbs of my truck! Although it is enticing to try to give scottryana's 80 a run for it's money. Maybe we can convince J1000....

Is there anyone else doing what you are doing with the 100 series? Seems like you are taking tuning in a direction that didn't exist before. Well done! I am excited to see where this goes.

What are you anticipating will be the factors that limit the HP gains?
Thanks but there are tons of people doing this with the LC and the 4.7L in particular. Here in the USA it's mostly the Tundras and LS400s that people tune. In the middle east I'm sure everyone knows of the crazy stuff they do with Land Cruisers there.

Biggest factors are going to just be the design of the engine and cams. I'm hoping I can get to the 315 range with exhaust mods and tuning like I've seen others do with the 4.7. Can probably add 150hp safely with a turbo before worrying about things like rods breaking but that's definitely pretty far down the road.

Thanks but there are tons of people doing this with the LC and the 4.7L in particular. Here in the USA it's mostly the Tundras and LS400s that people tune. In the middle east I'm sure everyone knows of the crazy stuff they do with Land Cruisers there.

Biggest factors are going to just be the design of the engine and cams. I'm hoping I can get to the 315 range with exhaust mods and tuning like I've seen others do with the 4.7. Can probably add 150hp safely with a turbo before worrying about things like rods breaking but that's definitely pretty far down the road.

I've been tempted many a time to buy a cheap 1UZ car (LS, SC, GS), upgrade the trans and slap on a turbo and go for the moon. Those motors seem indestructible and I'm sure the 2UZ is similar. Only a matter of time before the forums sees some folks really pushing boundaries on the 2UZ in the US. I'm giddy with excitement to watch it! :popcorn:

The 1UZ 4.0L definitely is built for boost. "They say" 700hp capable on stock bottom end. The 4.7 is supposedly much weaker with thinner rods so not as good for a 1/4 mile car but still good enough for us.

This thread has got me looking at cams now. There are actually quite a few options available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom