Eaton E-Locker vs Factory E-Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed that a company in AU has Eaton E-Lockers for our 80's. Has anyone any experience with them in an 80 or anything? How would they compare to the factory locker, say for a truck that doesn't have lockers and you are looking to install. I know how to install them both but am looking for Pros/Cons of each or user experiences, etc.
Thanks,
Chris

should probably look into the new yukon grizzly locker. was talking to one of the reps and this grizzly locker has chromoly internals, air actuated, and cheaper.

should probably look into the new yukon grizzly locker. was talking to one of the reps and this grizzly locker has chromoly internals, air actuated, and cheaper.

Either the reps don't even know how it works, or Marlin doesn't know he's selling air lockers as auto lockers... one of the two...

"Grizzly automatic lockers are a great choice for trail, street, and towing. Unlike other automatic lockers, Grizzly lockers are silent. Internally the Grizzly locker works like a ratchet wrench. This locker prevents either wheel from going slower than the ring gear. When unloaded, it allows non-uniform wheel speed to cope with cornering and maneuvering your vehicle. Grizzly lockers are fast becoming the leading automatic locker of choice."

Grizzly Locker | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

THIS, is a cheaper air locker...

ARB Air Locker vs Yukon Zip Locker

I haven't used the eaton e-locker, but I have used other eaton differential products and was extremely satisfied.

I love my Eaton E-locker!!! Locks hard and releases without any problem or hesitation. I personally am not a fan of anything Yukon but thats just my personal preference.

Hefty- just to clarify, you have the Eaton on your 80?

Either the reps don't even know how it works, or Marlin doesn't know he's selling air lockers as auto lockers... one of the two...

"Grizzly automatic lockers are a great choice for trail, street, and towing. Unlike other automatic lockers, Grizzly lockers are silent. Internally the Grizzly locker works like a ratchet wrench. This locker prevents either wheel from going slower than the ring gear. When unloaded, it allows non-uniform wheel speed to cope with cornering and maneuvering your vehicle. Grizzly lockers are fast becoming the leading automatic locker of choice."

Grizzly Locker | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

THIS, is a cheaper air locker...

ARB Air Locker vs Yukon Zip Locker

well than, i have no idea what this guy was talking about.

i wonder if we're able to use it in our front ends? it's for a 8" diff with 30 splines and if memory serves me right our fronts are 27s?

That Harrop link is what I was talking about. So are our axles 27 or 30 spline. The Harrop website says this:

http://www.harrop.com.au/products/drive_line_and_suspension/elkr9378-00.html

Harrop/Eaton ELocker Toyota 40-80 Series Rear 12 Bolt 30 Spline
Product Code: 99-ELKR9378-00

The ELockers electromagnetic locking mechanism is the next generation of aftermarket differential technology. Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction. Eaton ELocker is your push button solution to almost any traction problem.

Designed expressly for 4-wheel drive systems to give you the ability to lock or unlock the differentials when necessary. When locked the Eaton ELocker performs as a full locker, capturing 100% of available torque and sending it equally to both ends of the axle.

The ELocker is built with precision-forged gears that are designed to mesh perfectly, providing improved strength and durability over a standard cut gear. Its ease of installation, reliability and push-button activation make ELocker an absolute must for all traction and off-road performance applications.

Compatible Models

Toyota Landcruiser Rear 40, 55, 60, 62, 75 & 80 series (including Lexus LX450) with 12 Bolt full floating axle assembly (1977 - 1997)
All applications utilise the later 50mm I/D carrier bearings

Last edited:
the yukon zip locker is for 8 inch toyota 4cylinder of V6 applications only.

There also doesn't appear to be an Eaton E-locker for our rigs either but i'm sure in soon enough time there will be.

If I had to guess, this is where the "Zip Locker" comes from...

Also a good Zip Locker Vs. ARB in my 1st post...

Ok, it's also getting to the point some of you wanting to save money need to find another less expensive to own and operate 4WD... This is almost getting ridiculous...

If I had to guess, this is where the "Zip Locker" comes from...

Also a good Zip Locker Vs. ARB in my 1st post...

Ok, it's also getting to the point some of you wanting to save money need to find another less expensive to own and operate 4WD... This is almost getting ridiculous...

Says you... You are welcome to your opinion, but don't act as if your opinion is the only one allowed.

What exactly is wrong with wanting to save money if it is a good quality product :confused:

Hilux- TJM makes a locker for the 80-series that's supposed to improve upon the ARB design, and this ZIP locker looks interesting. It's always good to explore other options, especially when there are known problems (leaks) with existing options like ARB. Unless you've had experience with the ZIP-locker, I wouldn't dismiss it based on ARB's own marketing videos or based on price, to which you seem to be particularly sensitive. Not everything that's more expensive is necessarily better, because you don't always get what you pay for. That's exactly why exploring other options is a good idea.

What's ridiculous is your assumption that more $$ = better product without any significant subjective or objective data to back it up. You must feed a lot of vendors' / dealers' / mechanics' dogs with that attitude.

Do you know what Pot Metal is?

Hilux- TJM makes a locker for the 80-series that's supposed to improve upon the ARB design, and this ZIP locker looks interesting. It's always good to explore other options, especially when there are known problems (leaks) with existing options like ARB. Unless you've had experience with the ZIP-locker, I wouldn't dismiss it based on ARB's own marketing videos or based on price, to which you seem to be particularly sensitive. Not everything that's more expensive is necessarily better, because you don't always get what you pay for. That's exactly why exploring other options is a good idea.

What's ridiculous is your assumption that more $$ = better product without any significant subjective or objective data to back it up. You must feed a lot of vendors' / dealers' / mechanics' dogs with that attitude.

1, anything better than a ARB, is NOT going to be significantly cheaper...

2, you think ARB falsified that test? Here's another. They have what to lose?

3, go right ahead and prove me wrong... Gears and diffs are cheap enough, right? Easy :banana: job, right?

I havnt found word one on where the Zip is even manufactured... I have found cheap china ARB knock-offs... And we know a marketing man won't buy that and wrap pretty little words around a pretty little price to take advantage of that... :rolleyes:

You must feed a lot of cheap china importers children with that attitude...

Shop at PepBoys much?

And I don't buy anything from vendors... I make or snag my stuff on the flip, or IOW's free... Richy Rich...

Oh, look... Another forum of morons like me...

Yukon's New Air Locker - ClassicBroncos.com Forums

Evidently they ARE NOT the Soong ones... But I still don't care... At $200 difference, I KNOW ARB's reputation... And I wouldnt stake $200 on it... Not if I could afford to drive a 80 in the 1st place...

Yukon Zip Lockers - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom