Easy Way to Add CarPlay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I am currently (still) on the hunt for a 100 series, and one of the many things I am considering when I finally find the perfect one is slightly modernizing the audio. I know a lot of guys run a simple cassette adaptor, but I came across something I had not seen before that may be a great option for many. I have CarPlay on my Daily Driver and have come to love it. On the flip side I generally don't like aftermarket headunits, so that can be tough when I am considering what to do.

On my 4Runner I decided to give a CarPlay/Dash Cam mirror a try and I have to say I love it. It was a very clean install, was able to not alter the factory audio at all, and the sound quality is great. The 4Runner has a factory aux-in, which makes it easy, but on a 100 series it would be easy to combine with a cassette adaptor. Also, if you are running a rear tire carrier this is an easy way to get your rear vision back and use it as a digital mirror since you can split the screen and do half CarPlay, half rear (or front) camera.

Here is a link to what I the one I bought (actually bought a few and kept the one that seemed the best quality) and a few photos in my 4Runner. When I finally get a 100 series this is likely the direction I will go.

Amazon product ASIN B0BN3R4J8F
qhVGLE3.jpg

UAu9ZrS.jpg

5wCqhlG.jpg

jZJ0vhl.jpg

myNGGQA.jpg

That’s interesting.

This was very important to me as well. I hated the Toyota infotainment when it was new, so my search was limited to a 98 so I could do a double din swap. I’ve had wireless Apple Car Play since 2018 or 2019. I have a pioneer unit. I like the Kenwood units slightly more.

Here is a link to what I the one I bought (actually bought a few and kept the one that seemed the best quality) and a few photos in my 4Runner. When I finally get a 100 series this is likely the direction I will go.

If you mount the display onto the OEM mirror, then it will render your driver visor useless.

I’m struggling to understand how something like this could be legal to sell in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom