East coast rot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
seeking advice here. Recently picked up a "good deal." My first 100 series. Loved these trucks and they've finally gotten to affordability. Noticed the gas tank cover rot and some corrosion around bolts and components in engine bay. Tonight I took a closer look at shock towers and welds. Penetration looks pretty severe but wanted to see what you all thought I should do. If I can hit these with a dreml and POR 15 can these be saved?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those Cam adjustment bolts on your UCAs are prob frozen to the bushing. That will make it tough if not impossible for the alignment tech. to adjust. Using a penetrant to dissolve it will deteriorate what life is left in the bushings. Hopefully your alignment in spec. So you can worry about that job later.

As you do repairs and upgrades order ahead to start replacing hardware with new- don't reuse crusty bolts and nuts.

You want to stop the rust from getting worse. On fixed objects like frame, mounts, etc remove as much scale from all surfaces with a scraper, or sharp flat blade tool, then wire brush the rust dust off, then apply rust converter wait 24hrs for it to harden then spray zinc chromate, then spray satin black. That should slow it down. Use you fav salt inhibitor for wintertime.

Drive it.

Thanks will do. I had someone tell me the towers are shot but it feels like there's good steel there. Already ordered new bushings and bolts. Alignment is good so I'll hit them hard with penetrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom