Easily installed/removed rack solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 4runner I used the factory rails/crossbars and a giant vinyl zippered cargo bag to store soft gear for family camping trips. Any recommendations for a rack solution that accomplishes the same on the GX460?

I'm leaning away from "serious" full-time mounted racks like Frontrunner, SSO, etc. because I don't need roof storage on a regular basis, fuel consumption, wind noise, and cost. The INNO rack looks a little ugly to my eyes but assuming I can pull it off/put it on when I need it, that might be a solution.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations, warnings, etc..

There are factory 460 crossbars available.

Another option (I'm actually going this route) is rhino rack cross bars. They mount to the factory 6 points on the roof replacing the two factory silver rails. You can remove these bars from the base easily, there are even caps that come with them to cover the mounts if you have the bars removed.

There are factory 460 crossbars available.

Another option (I'm actually going this route) is rhino rack cross bars. They mount to the factory 6 points on the roof replacing the two factory silver rails. You can remove these bars from the base easily, there are even caps that come with them to cover the mounts if you have the bars removed.

Thank you, I'll research that. I hope you can post pics when you do it.

I just ordered a set of the Rhino Rack cross bars, too (3 bar set). I don't like the look of the Inno cross bars and I don't think there's enough space between the oem crossbars and the roof. I have an old Thule MOAB rack to throw on top for beach trips and that's about all the cross bars will be used for, but they seem like a great platform for any future roof accessories (full rack, awning, tent...). Good luck with your decision!

I’ve got 2011 GX. Need the cross bars for Cascadia Vehicle Tent. The factory cross bars (2) online run about 200 dollars. My question is should I go with Rhino over factory.

I just ordered a set of the Rhino Rack cross bars, too (3 bar set). I don't like the look of the Inno cross bars and I don't think there's enough space between the oem crossbars and the roof. I have an old Thule MOAB rack to throw on top for beach trips and that's about all the cross bars will be used for, but they seem like a great platform for any future roof accessories (full rack, awning, tent...). Good luck with your decision!
Thanks. Once you get the bars installed please consider posting some pics.

A fella with a GX460 in the same color and all was parked next to me up in Mammoth Lakes a couple weeks ago and he had the Prado rails which looked super clean. They really open up the options for crossbars. I think he said he got them on Ebay or Amazon for around $200. Just another option to consider...

Will do! I got them about a week ago, but I just haven't had any time to work on installing them.

I plan on installing the Rhino Rack cross bar set today. I'll try to get some pics up later this week (if it ever stops raining!).

Not the best pic, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I also put the Lexus gutter trim pieces on. I saw Jacket do it on the CL forum when he installed the Prado rack and they really finish it up nicely. I chose these because I don't have the need to run a full rack all of the time and have a Thule Moab rack to throw on top for trips. The GX is taking those duties over from the 80.

🍻

IMG_2280.JPG

Looks good. I want a rack eventually for a tent potentially, but not sure which one but these rail options won't cut it if I'm 230# to start ROFL:rofl: Is there a solution that bolts up to the factory holes where I don't have to worry about drilling holes and leaks down the road, because I'm really not about that route at all either. I do need a place to put things like traction boards and a shovel and so on... a tent is on the wish list, but down the road a bit.

Looks good. I want a rack eventually for a tent potentially, but not sure which one but these rail options won't cut it if I'm 230# to start ROFL:rofl: Is there a solution that bolts up to the factory holes where I don't have to worry about drilling holes and leaks down the road, because I'm really not about that route at all either. I do need a place to put things like traction boards and a shovel and so on... a tent is on the wish list, but down the road a bit.

Prinsu, Front Runner and SSO all bolt to the factory holes and offer platforms for mounting all sorts of things. Here is a Waterport, Thule Hyper XL box, Tred Pros and Batwing awning all on my Prinsu.

I think I see where you want to go with your rack and if so, I was where you're at. My qualifiers were: 1) I wanted the rack to be low profile so I can get into most parking garages: e.g. malls, etc. 2) It needed to be strong enough to hold an iKamper (iKamper - Love People, Love Nature) 3) I wanted to have a front LED low profile light bar and proximity lights, both left and right sides. 4) it HAD to look good!
My solution was a Gamiviti full rack (http://www.gamiviti.com/roofracks). Yes I know they don't show GX460 roof racks, but yes they do make them. The rack mounts to the roof with the six factory mounting points. Go to my build thread (Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo) and you can see photos of the rack. I've even posted the P.O. for reference of everything I had on added to the rack. Tim, the owner is great to work with, the only caveat is that they are not fast. Expect it to take a a month or two.

I think I see where you want to go with your rack and if so, I was where you're at. My qualifiers were: 1) I wanted the rack to be low profile so I can get into most parking garages: e.g. malls, etc. 2) It needed to be strong enough to hold an iKamper (iKamper - Love People, Love Nature) 3) I wanted to have a front LED low profile light bar and proximity lights, both left and right sides. 4) it HAD to look good!
My solution was a Gamiviti full rack (http://www.gamiviti.com/roofracks). Yes I know they don't show GX460 roof racks, but yes they do make them. The rack mounts to the roof with the six factory mounting points. Go to my build thread (Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo) and you can see photos of the rack. I've even posted the P.O. for reference of everything I had on added to the rack. Tim, the owner is great to work with, the only caveat is that they are not fast. Expect it to take a a month or two.

Yup precisely, I'll read your build later tonight, and check the rack out now! Good info, thanks a bunch. Not too pressed on time as it's down the list, but it's good to narrow things down too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom