Dummy key for towing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my GX470 the seller only had 1 key but did include an uncut aftermarket key. I plan to have it cut and programmed at a locksmith. But since I will be towing it behind my motorhome and need to leave a key in the ignition to keep the steering wheel unlocked I’m thinking of getting a dummy key cut. This won’t need to start the car but just to keep the steering unlocked. I've done this with a Jeep Liberty and it worked.
Will I be able to lock the doors with this dummy key in the ignition?

The GX is not supposed to be flat towed at all. I’m not sure if you knew this.

Not gonna argue with you, my extensive research from many people who have been towing for many thousands of miles are what I'm following. Including someone who was a Toyota service adviser for 20 years and has towed his GX470 over 30,000 miles with no problems. At my price point getting into my GX I'm not worried about damage, I'll probably have more damage while trail riding. Flat towing a GX470 with transfer case with Neutral position is a dirty little secret in the motorhome crowd. :)

Hope this helps.. first, most people do not know that in the original factory owners manual there is a non electronic factory cut key for you vehicle. That is if you got the factory manual in the original leather holder. I have two electronic keys and the one original that has no chip head on it. If I insert the non chip key into the ignition and turn it to the acc location, I can lock the doors manually with another key but I can not use the keyless entry to lock the doors. If I install a chipped key into the ignition turning it to the acc location, I can lock the doors manually with a chipped or unchipped key.
In addition there is lots of info on flat towing the gx470. The owners manual says not too however experience from others says it can be done.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom