Dual fuel tank setup for a 75 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey fellas i need some help re a dual fuel setup for my hzj75. First the back story:

My hzj75r had no dual fuel tank from factory. However alot of the Australian delivered ones did so parts are easy to come by. Now i have a trip planned that goes through some territory that is lacking in good fuel stops. That is next friday. Also the rear end needs more weight in it to smooth it out a little so i need the second tank. What i really need it help to get it installed. I am going with the factory setup. Firstly i really need to know there the second tank mounts up. Any help is very much appreciated! Below are the pictures of the parts that i have acquired:

20180825_130945.jpg

20180825_131106.jpg

20180825_131009.jpg

20180825_131252.jpg

Okay so the chassis is completely different feom factory to allow for the dual fuel tanks. So i will have to make it work somehow with custom mounts. The wiring I'm told is all there but i need to know where everything plugs in.

Following with interest as I am getting together enough parts to fit a 180L Aussie Long Ranger copy tank of sorts ...

Okay so the chassis is completely different feom factory to allow for the dual fuel tanks. So i will have to make it work somehow with custom mounts.

How is it different? I bet the mounts just bolt onto the chassis into predrilled holes that will be there(its too cold and dark to go have a look).

How is it different? I bet the mounts just bolt onto the chassis into predrilled holes that will be there(its too cold and dark to go have a look).
No the rear crossmember that the spare wheel is mounted to is alot different. And this crossmember is completely welded on. I had a picture I'll try and find it.

This is my not factory dual fuel crossmember. As you can see its welded onto the chassis making it a pia to swap over to the dual tank capatable crossmember. My cruiser has since been washed btw. Also the dual fuel tank cruisers can only fit the split rim wheel as a spare due to the lack of room with the tank and other crossmember, so I've been told. Hopefully someone else can chime in with pics of a dual fuel 75 crossmember.

20180827_131138.jpg

20180827_131147.jpg

20180827_131112.jpg

Mine is the same - I imagine that it is not safety critical and that it can just be cut away to create space for the new LRT if needed ?
i don't know that i would especially if you use the rig for 4wding and flex it out often. same can be said about carrying loads, i don't think that Toyota would make it that beefy if it didn't need to be. forward of that cross-member you only have the shock mounting cross-member tube which is not going to hold the chassis together like a proper cross-member. also unless you poach another cruisers cross-member that is dual fuel compatible you will need to mount the spare wheel somewhere else. fine if you have a tray but those with troopys may need to invest in a rear wheel carrier first. that said if the cruiser was only worth $2000 or so there would probably be no point in worrying about it too much.

Here are some pics..... sorry about the poor quality they are not mine.

core-1535359123767186-8.jpg

core-1535359123841789-10.jpg

i don't know that i would especially if you use the rig for 4wding and flex it out often. same can be said about carrying loads, i don't think that Toyota would make it that beefy if it didn't need to be. forward of that cross-member you only have the shock mounting cross-member tube which is not going to hold the chassis together like a proper cross-member. also unless you poach another cruisers cross-member that is dual fuel compatible you will need to mount the spare wheel somewhere else. fine ....
Then I wonder what the X-member found in the Dual tank setup looks like, in comparison ? Does it even exist ?

Then I wonder what the X-member found in the Dual tank setup looks like, in comparison ? Does it even exist ?
Yes it does in all factory dual fuel setups. It is rectangle like in shape to accept this bracket.
20180827_190545.jpg
im pretty sure later on the dual fuel tanks became standard (not sure what year) so the chassis would be the dual fuel version. Mh hzj75 is a 7/95 so must have been soon after that. Definitely after 99.

Mine is a June 1999 HZJ 75 troopy but it had the spare underneath.If the new LRT fits I will leave the bracket but if it fouls I will make a plan.IIRC Wayne cut that bracket in the original (now infamous) Troopy build thread. I cannot find the thread now but do not remember him bracing the chassis afterwards and I think it worked out fine ?

Thanks !

Does this mean that the 180L Aussie Long Ranger tanks for the 75 W/O OEM sub tank, will have a cut-out in the top for that spare wheel bracket ?

Thanks !

Does this mean that the 180L Aussie Long Ranger tanks for the 75 W/O OEM sub tank, will have a cut-out in the top for that spare wheel bracket ?
No problem just trying to find informative information and help myself and other the best i can.

For the Long ranger does the tank go there? Trying to fit a 180L tank there wouldn't fit i wouldn't have thought because the factory sub tank is 90L. I do know that long ranger get each type of vehicle they make a tank for to make the design. I would not have thought that they would make another or replacement sub tank for the cruisers that had a factory sub tank (i could be wrong though, because 180L is a lot more than 90L). So I'm guessing that they have the kit to at least suit a cruiser that does not have factory dual fuel so would mount wherever they designed it to. Hth. Cheers

I know the 180 litre tank fits, but maybe they have to chop that bit out. You wont be able to use it once the tank is there anyway.

Thanks Ross.
Arrival of the tank is still some time away so rather frustratingly I cannot confirm it right now.If I have to cut and move that brace backwards like the DUAL OEM setup then I will, not that I think it is seriously required to preserve strength.I think the brace on which the shocks are attached(and which is used to mount the 180L tank at the front) should be strong enough ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom