Dual case options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's because I like cruising at 120+ on the Interstates or when up north in Alberta... The tall 3.70s, with the 255 85R16s make for some good top speed. Corrected speedo: 2050 RPM at 100Kph and if I don't drive it like it's stolen, I can squeak 32 MPG (Imp) out of it.

...and that's why!

~John

So thats what I'm doing wrong, lol! My BJ74 with 4.56's and 35" rubber is running at 3000RPM at 120kmh and only getting about 19mpg :doh:

As much as I would like to get the toybox right now the availability, mods to install, down time and price by the time its all said and done are holding me back. I think the advance adapters 4:1 is definitely the next best option for me at the moment as my t-case is due for an overhaul now. I'm thinking if in the future I ever wanted to I could still add the toybox with the 2.28:1 gear set and end up with the same final crawl ratio.

Do you think the 10% reduction in high range with my 4.56:1's and stock 13BT would be enough to run 37's ??

It depends on the engine. The unit looks good, but it's more pricey than I had anticipated.

The updates are that the long awaited shafts have been cut and are ready to go - see the Pirate posting. Kyle was working on the installation on to an H55F as of last week, I know this because we sent some gaskets to him for the fitment.

I'll be getting one shortly, how to define shortly I can't say - and will be doing trials of it to determine what issues may exist with it, if any at all.

There are other gearing options, and either Mark's Gears or the Advance Adapter's gears are good ones. Both or these options require modifications to the transfer case, the Mark's Gears less so (in fact some castings don't need to be clearanced with the 3.05:1 gears), but the AA gears really need lots of room to work properly and careful clearancing is a mandatory. Guys like Georg at Valley Hybrids can do it for you if you send him your cases.

The Mark's Gears have a 1:1 high range option as well as an ~9% overdrive or ~9% underdrive (1.087:1) depending on what final ratio you choose.

The Advance Adapters gears are underdrive in high range (1.077:1) and have a drive ratio of 3.98 in low range.

I'll provide more info as it comes in.

~John

I'm still finding this option interesting, but the price listed on pirate is way over the top. I know you have nothing to do with that John, but $800 ($2399 vs $1599) more than the blackbox i-unit is ludicrous. I am familiar with research costs but considering they already had the i-unit in sellable form, it shouldn't have taken much to tweak it for use in a LC.

I'm going to have to do some hard thinking about getting this thing. I'd like to keep my current transmission/x-fer case but it's another variable to add in to the equation since I am looking into engine replacement options like the cummins 4BT or isuzu 4BD1T. I have a bit of room to play with, though I need to start looking at the overall length of the engine/trans/x-fer situation, I'm not keen on having to shorten the drive shaft 7-10 inches.

One question about the unit I have is this, can it be set up for double stick control? Once again I'm not taking shots at you John, you're kind of the intermediary in this, since NWF seems to need lessons on answering email.

The Blackbox-C for the H55 is now available. Any last thoughts before pulling the trigger?

When I talked to them last April about my H55F this was the response:

"We are only missing inputs currently for that kit. the price for that blackbox going to your 5 speed is $2149.
Kris
NWF"

So does that mean they have the inputs now? and has the price changed?

I received an email from Kris this morning and the wait was on the lids. He said the Blackbox-C is built to order and can be shipped a week from when the order is placed.

I was at NWF a couple weeks ago, looks like a go....

Rob

I have one installed in my troopy. It took a little less time to get than a baby takes to make from scratch. That being said. It's a nice piece of kit. Still some kinks to sort out in my opinion but that will come in time.

It seems to work great. I haven't spent a ton of time in double low but have spent some... Need to get to some rock trails for that.

I have one installed in my troopy. It took a little less time to get than a baby takes to make from scratch. That being said. It's a nice piece of kit. Still some kinks to sort out in my opinion but that will come in time.

It seems to work great. I haven't spent a ton of time in double low but have spent some... Need to get to some rock trails for that.
Details on the kinks?

Thanks!

Just a few little things. Some of the machining could be a little more thought out. I'm not certain they got the length of the output bang on. It all functions well enough though.

Also the adapters onto the back of the h55 need custom bolts as clearance is essentially non existent.

BUMP! Anyone running a blackbox and can offer up more insight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom