Drove the new FJ yesterday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend is looking at the new FJ so he asked me to come along. It was my first look at one and we took it out for over an hour. Drove it up a long snowy dirt road ascent into the mountains, horsed around in a gravel pit.

Overall, nice vehicle but I was prepared to really like it and didn't. It just didn't grab me like I expected. Kinda bland, kinda rubbery busy ride, and other than the triple windshield wipers nothing that made it unique. I'm surprised as I thought it would have a really unique feel and impression. This is true at a distance because of exterior styling, but in driving and evaluating it you don't get any feeling of heritage, or a link to a serious purposeful vehicle. Take the badges off it and it could be from any manufacturer.

Ironically I drove a Jeep Liberty diesel the day before and it had a more strong image and unique feel to me. Can't believe I said that because I hate those miserable curs.

The 4 wheel drive system worked fine, the rear locker worked fine and the seat material felt durable. Dunno. For 30 large loaded and no discounts a discounted Highlander Limited with leather, heated seats and a raft of stuff the FJ doesn't offer starts looking very good as a daily driver. Better ride, quieter, etc. Or you could get a 5.5 second RAV4 V6.....

DougM

I'm just shocked you could take a 1 hour test drive, on dirt no less, for cars that are going for MSRP or above... :eek:

Doug...despite what Toyota claims, it is just a shortened 4runner. Maybe that is why you did not feel anything special?? Marketing at Toyota is doing a great job with the FJC.

Disappointed

I went and checked out 2 FJs the day they hit the dealers... from the outside, everything I expected and more. From the inside, totally disappointed. Photos give the wrong impression. You feel like you're in a cereal box, poor visibility, uncomfortable. I've been stoked for 6 months to get one and was totally disappointed. Bought a Tacoma instead.

Visibility is an issue. I drove one and I found the windshield pillars, particularly the right side, to be in a bad place for turns. The RH pillar blocks just the area I want to see when making a right-hand turn. Looking behind you is a bit of a challenge as well. I liked the way it drove and steered and I liked the way the transfer case shifted. The vision issues may subside after driving one for a while, hopefully before you hit something....:whoops:

sitting in the front, looking out the front window......reminds me of my 45LV.....you have to duck down and look up to see stop lights......looking backwards, sideways.......its like being in a cave.....but i suspose you can get use to it.

cruiserdan said:
Visibility is an issue. I drove one and I found the windshield pillars, particularly the right side, to be in a bad place for turns. The RH pillar blocks just the area I want to see when making a right-hand turn. Looking behind you is a bit of a challenge as well. I liked the way it drove and steered and I liked the way the transfer case shifted. The vision issues may subside after driving one for a while, hopefully before you hit something....:whoops:

ant31 said:
I went and checked out 2 FJs the day they hit the dealers... from the outside, everything I expected and more. From the inside, totally disappointed. Photos give the wrong impression. You feel like you're in a cereal box, poor visibility, uncomfortable. I've been stoked for 6 months to get one and was totally disappointed. Bought a Tacoma instead.

Kind of having the same dilema.
Suppose to pick up my FJ in a week but now I have been looking at Tacoma Double-Cabs with the TRD package.

If I am adding it up right it actually comes in a little less that my FJ with Convenience Package.

Anyone have any comments on the build quality of the 2006 Tacomas?

Still deciding :confused:

Bob

SurfPonto said:
Suppose to pick up my FJ in a week but now I have been looking at Tacoma Double-Cabs with the TRD package.

If I am adding it up right it actually comes in a little less that my FJ with Convenience Package.

Bob

I've never heard any one say any thing bad about the Taco or the Tundra. People drop them cause of the no-interest deals and loaded up offers on Domestics, and neither would suit me cause of payload (horses) and $.

Gret trucks, the raft guides up here dream of having a 10 year old Taco with a cab cover..to live in.

I had a 1979 Toyota pickup, boought new, don't think it was the Taco then. Great truck, smaller than now but never missed a beat.

SurfPonto said:

Bob

The Tacoma is built in the US. The FJC is built in Japan. The Tacoma build quality is better than just about anything else built over here. It is not, however, built in Japan. We still aren't there yet.

Gumby said:
The side mirrors were nice and big.
That was one thing I noticed during my testdrive also...nice big mirrors, when first looking out of it I thought you couldn't see much out the front, but the more I drove it around (not alot, maybe 20-30 min total), I felt alot more comfortable with it, and didn't notice any visibility problems at all...I couldn't find reverse to save my life, but had no trouble seeing... :D

To those that say it's just a shortened 4runner...well...ummm....that's the whole point...the 4runner is a bit too long and too expensive, so Toyota used it's array of parts and came up with something which is basically the same vehicle, but with a new body, new marketing, new image...so yeah it's a shortened 4runner...just like a 60 is a lengthened 40 (same drivetrain/axles, but different body, different image, etc)...

mabrodis said:
To those that say it's just a shortened 4runner...well...ummm....that's the whole point...the 4runner is a bit too long and too expensive, so Toyota used it's array of parts and came up with something which is basically the same vehicle, but with a new body, new marketing, new image...so yeah it's a shortened 4runner...just like a 60 is a lengthened 40 (same drivetrain/axles, but different body, different image, etc)...

Don't get me wrong...it is a good thing to be based on the 4runner. I am a fan of the 4runner, esp. it's 2006 cosmetic updates. However, given the hype over it's uniqueness and Toyota's claim of intensive research and testing, i was hoping that it would be "more different" than a 4runner. I was hoping that Toyota cleaned up the underbody a bit more (low hanging crossmember just past the tranny). Now, before anyone goes bitching about being a troll, i did spend nearly 30 min crawling underneath one! Lucky for me, a Toyota dealership is just within walking distance from my house. See my post in this link about my dream FJC:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=86309

I guess that being based on a 4runner did keep the cost of owning one down.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that a number of folks who were initially jazzed about the FJC have cooled, and some who were cool initially have warmed up once they see it live.

I think I might try to get up close and personal this weekend to see what it does to me...

SurfPonto said:

Bob

Bob-

I have the 2005 Tacoma TRD with locker, VSC, DHA, and so forth.

I know people baulk at the thought of so many gadgets, but it is a joy to drive. I like the fact that I can wheel with the family and feel safe and comfotable. It is very capable off road. I have only been in a couple of spots where I have wished I had a front locker.

The only issue I have had is not really enough room for the kids and all of there stuff in the back seat. The Tundra would have probably solved that, but then it is a pretty good size vehicle and I didn't want something that big as they tend to be tough to manuver off road.

Good Luck in your decision!

Gumby said:
I drove one today. I found the C pillars didn't bother me much. The side mirrors were nice and big.

Gumby,

So when are you going to show us pics of your new FJ?

SS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom