Drones in National Forests (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jamesurq

Reefmonkey
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
reefmonkey.com
So I had read that drones are outlawed in National Parks - and a few of us made the incorrect (I think) assumption that meant National Forests as well.

I can't confirm it on the National Forestry site - but from what I can see drones are actually allowed...

Can anyone confirm?

They are allowed, but not over wilderness areas and they also need to comply with the usual FAA rules and regulations associated with them.

I know it’s hard to prove a negative but do you have a link to where the ‘no drones allowed’ verbiage would be - if it were so?

I know it’s hard to prove a negative but do you have a link to where the ‘no drones allowed’ verbiage would be - if it were so?
Federally it would be under 36CFR for regulations however each forest can file Forest Orders to ban drones. Forest Orders should be posted at the individual ranger stations

Drones are not allowed over wilderness areas, national parks, and regulated airspace. This doesn't apply to national forest.

User friendly guide to this >> AirMap Web App

Let me know if anyone has any other drone questions, been in the industry for a while now.

Here is a good example, you can see the larger red no fly zone. You can take off from outside of this limit and fly into it, but you can't take off in it.

You can see the blue class D airspace to the west, this is a regulated airspace and each will have it's own set of rules.

The surround is consider class G airspace, you can fly all you want out there, just try to respect peoples privacy and don't go spying in peoples windows=]

chrome_2020-02-18_13-00-03.png

They have been using drones to monitor traffic, parking lots, and hot spot campsites in recent years. Since C19 pandemic, that's been one of the primary tools they've used in the NPS..

Yes some federal agencies are using drones in the park system but to the public it is not allowed

I live next to Glacier National, and the amount of idiots I see walking around with their face in cell phone and approaching wildlife for pictures blows my mind. I could only imagine what the idiots would do if we let them fly drones.

I see them in the national forest fairly often, and have to say I'm not a fan. Usually I've encountered them around lakes where people are fishing and or camping, and they are so noisy and out of place. Incredibly selfish IMO.

I see them in the national forest fairly often, and have to say I'm not a fan. Usually I've encountered them around lakes where people are fishing and or camping, and they are so noisy and out of place. Incredibly selfish IMO.

I think most of us would fly them responsibly, as national forests are huge and plenty of airspace where you won’t disturb someone’s peace. I personally would use it for surveying and planning a path for driving, finding a campsite, and for various other reasons. It’s not hard to keep a distance from people when flying a drone, far enough to drown out any noise.

It’s just unfortunate that the irresponsible ones draw so much attention to themselves and because of that, people assume everyone is like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom