Driving Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Threads
Website
jonathan-ferguson.tk
DrivingLights.jpg

Can I take Power directly from the Alternator?
How do I enable the Driving Lights to come on when High Beams Lights are selected?

Is the first question neccessary, When the Driving Lights are selected by the High Beams?
For the second question, Which wire(s) will I have to tap into?

Yes. You can take from the alternator, however, if you're using an old external regulator and amp guage I might consider pulling from the bat.

For high beam activation here's what I would suggest to make the wiring very easy and safe.

Your head lights have 3 wires going in ... regular, high beams, and a ground. Using a volt meter you can find which is the high beam wire. Tap into that wire, BUT, I wouldn't power your new lights directly ... that's a lot of current. Instead, use the tap from the high beam wire to go into a relay switch and use the relay to turn on your new lights. Now whenever you hit the high beams it will activate your relay and turn on your other lights as well.

what he said, this might help...
sam

I ended up doing exactly what the Instruction said.

Problem with the Switch. When I would push it, It would just spring back and not stay down. - So I went to the local Parts shop and bought a Narva Switch for $4.75

Problem with the Wiring. The Positive and Neagative on the back of the Switch were around the wrong way on the Diagram. - The Narva Switch had the Symbols for the right places.

just remember that if you dont have it hooked up through the highbeams so they turn off when you put a mc dimmer on your highbeams, you will have to run the auxiliary lights so they can not be operated on road. Which means that you either have to keep opaque covers on them, or have the power to them disconnected when on road. Its the lor ;) They wont usually check for this cause most people do it the right way, but if they do, they will either fine you, or fine you and cut the wires to the lights. Not very nice.

I would still seriously consider changing to the relayed setup, it provides so many advantages, and its really not that difficult. You can use whatever switch you want of almost any current capacity. You dont have heavy duty wires going into the cab through the firewall. You keep the main power wires short, reducing resistance = more light. Its then simple to make on-road legal. So it really is worrth doing, especially if you do any on-road night driving like me.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom