driveline wishy wash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a followup from my diff and expansion valve post last week. I find that I have .25" -.5" movement (about the axis)on the drive shaft in front of the transfer and back of it. I dont get any movement side to side up or down. As written, a shop said the rear bearings and side bearings in the rear diff. need to be changed out. I would think bearings would need replacing if there is movement all over not so much about he axis...is this correct? I think it would be more about the gear wear/pinions etc. The yokes are tight. Where would the problem be, one area to make this much movement or several areas along the driveline since its moving even on the front shaft? A friend of mine has a 96 LC with less than .125" rotation on drive line.
Also, did some checking with the AC, on both cruiser pressure on both high and low lines are really high, 35PSI and 400PSI+, manual shows normal to be in high 20s and mid 200s range, everything else seems to check out i.e. sight glass and cabin cooling, any thoughts on this?
Thanks again for the great feedback..
Chris

Is your compressor cycling alot at idle?If so, you definitely need freon. Is it engagaging at all? All Toyota compressors have a pressure switch that prevents the compressor from engaging if it is low on freon ( to prevent damage). Not sure about why your pressure is so high ( other than there is a problem).
About your driveline, what year? Put it in your signature line and that will help people diagnose your problems easier. I have a 91 with the same slop. When I changed the rear wheel brngs, I checked out the R+P. Some wear but no gear damage or shavings. Iam planning on a rebuild with ARB install to correct (about $800).

1994 center locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom