Drive Line Ebrake Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1980 FJ40, has the ebrake on the drive line. Last time I was out & about, must have yanked to hard on the ebrake handle, and busted the cable.

Fortunately the cable part still seems to be available. I haven’t slid under & really got a good look at things yet. To help prepare for this project, is there a YouTube video, or a post here on the forum, that has pictures & step by step, how to remove the driveline based ebrake assembly ?

Last edited:
get all the parts for a rebuild, new transfer case seal and new shoes.

I just completed an ebrake cable replacement on my 10/72. The FSM is an excellent resource. It is about a 2-3 beer job if everything goes well.
Do a google search for drum brake shoe replacement if you have never done it before to understand the concept. It can be completed with basic handle tools. I find a pair of vise grips are best for removing and attaching the springs.

Note: The FJ40 parking brake is a cable brake only so there will be no hydraulic cylinder. If you are unsure take lots of pictures before you take it apart.

At a minimum you will need...
  1. FSM
  2. Parking Brake Drum Nut Socket. I think for the later years it is a 27mm. My 10/72 it was a 29 mm socket.
  3. GL-4 Gear Oil ~ 2 quarts however FSM will confirm how much is required.
  4. Torque wrench for installation (Drum Nut and driveline fasteners)
  5. Potentially new shoes and transfer case seal
    1. This can be confirmed after you pull the drum. My shoes and seal did not need replacement. There was no sign of visible gear oil on the shoes.
  6. Paint Stick to mark the phase on the driveline prior to removal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom