Door Ajar/ Dome light wiring - HZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a bit of a electrical gremlin happening - it's not a big deal yet, but I would appreciate some direction on where to start looking. There appears to be a short in the neutral leg of the wiring to the dome light.

Anybody have an idea of where the wire runs, and where it might get pinched/chaffed ? I can go trace the wires, but any help here would save time.....

Symptoms:
  1. The Dome light and the red Door ajar warning light come on when I go around sharp left hand corners, or hit lumps of ice frozen down to the road.
  2. It started last spring, but only on very rough gravel road.
Known Facts:
  1. All Dome light circuits that I am aware of are of the "sinking" type - ie, the switch is on the neutral leg.
  2. The door is not loose - if you try to move the doors when they are latched, no light..
  3. It isn't likely that the short is happening on the FRP top :D
Jim

Just grab wires and move them until you get the same thing happening. Usually it is under the steering column from the tilt movement over the years.

Regards.

I would be looking behind the the door switches .

Also ,the 70 can get really bad hinge wear and the door can move 5-10mm.
Open a door ,put your hand underneath,lift up and note the movement.
Mine got so bad you could here the door moving around.

one thing i have noticed is that the wires in the roll bar, leading to the interior cab light get very stiff in the cold weather, this can cause a short because of the stiffness/leverage on the wires.

I would look at the door plunger switches. Also move the wiring under the dash around till you find the problem. Its obviously a loose connection. I bet a power wire on one of the door plungers touches slightly to the body when you turn in the on direction, as inertia moves it over....

Happy Holidays.

Have you looked at the loom entering the rear door? This tends to chafe.
Otherwise try to deduct which line is causing the problem by disconnecting it near the dome light. IRC the wires meet near the dome-light. It's a black and white marked.
The wires run from the dome light through the roll-bar to/through the door-posts.
If the door switches are located at the door-lock side of the door-opening, there are no wires that run underneath/behind the dash that can cause the symptoms
you describe.
Make sure there are no traces of rust on the switches that might cause a short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom