Does your "ECT" button light up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my dash plastic partially apart on Saturday (the lighter got unplugged) and I noticed that the ECT switch has a lightbulb in it --

-- yet on mine it never lights up. I took the bulb out and it looked decent, but still no dice --

-- does anyone's light up? Maybe I should just swap the bulb out -- though it's not something that seems like a dealer-stock item --

THANKS!

eric

That is a backlighting bulb. Does it light up when the lights are turned on? if so, that is normal. It does not light up when depressed, but you should get a "PWR" indicator in the cluster.

hey Dan --

The backlighting doesn't work, though when I depress the switch, the dash amber lights --

-- here's a pup I'm trying to place in to a foster home -- chico -- his euth. date is this Friday -- :'(

Thanks, A --

I'll check the wires -- it's very tricky back there, to say the least!!

eric

What the heck does ECT stand for and what is it supposed to do?

Electronicly Controlled Transnission

The shift points are computer controled as opposed to hydraulic pressure. The transmission has two shift "patterns", normal and power. In the power mode the transmission holds the gears longer and down-shifts sooner than it does in the normal mode. During WOT acceleration the transmission shifts at the maximum RPM regardless of pattern selection. When the transfer is shifted into low range the shift points are also altered automaticly, unless the low 4 position switch has been dis-connected.

oh god -- he's a sweet boy -- we hope -- he's likely going from Long Island to Maine this weekend!!

eric

that would suck!!

Let's hope for the best -- he's already escaped the needle once and been hit by a car (once is enough!!) -- ::) ::) ::)

I was going to whine that I don't have a ECT switch but I figured from Dan's explaination that it's labeled PWR (for power setting). So I do have one.

It's not really on what I would call the dash but on the console near the transmission selector. So my question is:

My doesn't light up either (with the headlights on). I guess I need to pull the console apart to check the bulb? SOunds like a lot of work.

the ETC switch is betw. your "antenna up/down" button and a blank button (where my diff. lock switch is) -- on the dash --

eric

Benie and Eric,

You are both right... ::) The switch is on the instrument panel on 91-94 and on the console for 95-97 :D

Benie, I can't remember if the later switch is back-lit.

I don't have one there on my 1995. I guess it depends on the year?

Just to clarify this is mode setting for the automatic from normal to power setting?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4405;start=msg33261#msg33261 date=1061320655]

You are both right... ::) The switch is on the instrument panel on 91-94 and on the console for 95-97 :D

[/quote]

Dan, does this mean that I have the ability to put the switch in my 92? Is the plug there?

-H-

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=4405;start=msg33295#msg33295 date=1061328294]
Dan, does this mean that I have the ability to put the switch in my 92? Is the plug there?
-H-
[/quote]

No. You have the far inferior FJ80 and not the superior FZJ80 :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
No go :'( :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
:D

Ok my backlight does work but this topic and switch aren't really worth all the attention we are giving it.

I wouldn't about not having the switch, it probably just wastes gas. Punch it if you want it to shift down or stay down.

Benie,

Most of the topics aren't worth all the attention we give them. ::)

After all, that is the best part, no? 8)

Dan -

>> I can't remember if the later switch is back-lit. (95-97)

Both switches are backlit with headlights on - along with all other dash lights - but not when depressed. Separate indicators in the center cluster come on in the latter case (just below the tranny position indicators).

R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom