Does this look right (e-brake related) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to chase down a squeak/ rattle in the back and decided it must be e-brake related. I noticed these bolts with a pad just floating. Are they supposed to be seated and does anyone know if they can be purchased separately? The nut is stuck so I will need to replace them. Thanks for any info.
Cheers,
Scot
IMG_3232.jpg
IMG_3233.jpg

That’s how it is supposed to look (assuming the e brake is activated).

My e-brake is not activated in the photo.

I just rebuilt my handbrake on both sides and when deactivated the cushion on the bolt in question rests on the disk backing plate. But I do not see how that bolt would be the source of your rattle

Thanks guys. I have new shoes on order. The turn buckle is nearly all the way out so I think that it holding the cushioned bolts back. When the shoes show up I'll reset things and go from there.
Cheers,
Scot

For adjusting the E-brake you really need the procedure in the FSM. They can be adjusted correctly even when the shoes are worn down to the minimum, so I doubt that the shoes are the problem. You just need an adjustment, but the brake mechanism on the rear axle will make some noise, e.g. when hitting pot holes, even when adjusted.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look up the FSM so I can pass the test;)

Thanks guys. I have new shoes on order. The turn buckle is nearly all the way out so I think that it holding the cushioned bolts back. When the shoes show up I'll reset things and go from there.
Cheers,
Scot

Check that your bell cranks move freely before you start, it’s a major design flaw.

Check that your bell cranks move freely before you start, it’s a major design flaw.
If they don't is there a fix or do you just buy new ones?

I loosened the turnbuckle and both bell cranks drew in so the rubber bumpers are now seated. Once the new pads show up I'll adjust everything. The pads in there now have very little material left. I think a previous owner just used the turn buckle for adjustment rather than the adjustment wheel... but who knows. Again, thank you all for the help. It's one of the many reasons this is the internets best site.
Cheers,
Scot

If they don't is there a fix or do you just buy new ones?

Just get new ones, they’re pretty cheap. I spray painted my new bell cranks and pins with rustoleum and absolutely loaded the boot with brake grease — all in the name of keeping that galvanic corrosion at bay.

Just get new ones, they’re pretty cheap. I spray painted my new bell cranks and pins with rustoleum and absolutely loaded the boot with brake grease — all in the name of keeping that galvanic corrosion at bay.
It doesn't appear that I will be needing new ones. They move in an out smoothly. I'm also very excited to report that seating those rubber bumpers has cured the rear end squeak that has plagued me for the past two years:cool:

Yes, good point. An annual clean and lube keeps mine moving, using only ceramic grease as it seems to withstand both water and heat without running away, and thereby giving a shield against humidity (and rust).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom