Dobinsons 3 inch Progressive / Flexi coil review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On road the only place i'm feeling a real difference is in the corners. With a linear rate spring I feel like the truck is more predictable during cornering. With the dual rate you get an initial lean as mentioned previously in the post. To me the trade off is well worth it as soon as I hit trail. I do run stock sway bars, when I had the front one removed the truck was much less stable on the highway with either set of springs. I'm glad you asked this because it reminded me that I had the bar hooked up for all of those photos. I need to pull it and see what kind of difference it makes on the front.

Thank you Mike. We are planning something a little more ambitious for next year.
properly matched shocks will make them not feel "unpredictable" in corners. A stiffer rear swaybar is also a noticeable improvement and doesn't limit travel.

properly matched shocks will make them not feel "unpredictable" in corners. A stiffer rear swaybar is also a noticeable improvement and doesn't limit travel.

I would definitely agree with that. The Fox 2.0's are just too soft to deal with the weight of the 80 series. They do match up nicely when blasting down dirt trails at speed as they soak up a lot of punishment before they begin to fade out.

I've had the same feelings on my Fox 2.0 RR's. I wish I would have saved more and gone with a 2.5" Slee shock. I have definitely noticed that the shock fade with the RR is way less though than my OME's.

For those of you unhappy with your Fox 2.0's, were they just off the shelf standard valving?

I had Downsouth Motorsports valve my Factory Series 2.0RR's to my spec, and I love them. But they are definitely valved stiffer than the generic Performance Series.

Got mine valved and RR at DSM... Told them my weight and spring specs and approx unsprung weight. The tech dealing with me didn't' seem to care. He valved mine "80 series"...whatever that means. Yeah I could have taken them back, but was going on a 2 week trip and didn't want to deal with it. They are OK but not what I was expecting I guess. I've run 2.5" shocks on past trucks and am just kicking myself in the butt for just not getting the 2.5's in the first place.

Who makes the best lower end remote reservoirs that would be a good match for the 3" springs?

Just ordered these springs. Got their gas shocks a couple months back so curious to see how big a difference the springs make. Shocks were a bit more firm over the Fox 2.0's I had. Currently have TJM 50mm progressives.

Who makes the best lower end remote reservoirs that would be a good match for the 3" springs?

Do you mean lower end on price ? You could probably get Fox 2.0 RR for the cheapest. The bump to a 2.5 RR is going to be a significant price jump as well. I have been debating since I got these springs about just getting the Dobinsons MRR as it looks the business and I would love to pair one of their shocks with their springs. At the same time I've been holding off on making that investment because I know they are going to introduce a model with a CDC adjuster. I just haven't seen enough reviews on their 80 series shocks to make the jump. Perhaps @crikeymike or @David Otero will chime in.

Yes, I meant lower end on price. I have zero intentions of spending $2,000 on shocks alone. Thanks.

Yes, I meant lower end on price. I have zero intentions of spending $2,000 on shocks alone. Thanks.

Hi,

Our MRR shocks are 66 diameter and 60mm bore. They retail for $375 each delivered to your door.

How about $1500 on shocks ? That's pretty reasonable for a 2.5, more than reasonable actually.

Hi,

Our MRR shocks are 66 diameter and 60mm bore. They retail for $375 each delivered to your door.

How about $1500 on shocks ? That's pretty reasonable for a 2.5, more than reasonable actually.
The Dobinsons 3" Flexi coils w/2.5 remote reservoir shocks for $2,200 or 3" Slinky w/ Icon 2" non-reservoir shocks for $2,200. Hmmmmmm. Seems like a no-brainer to me!
Hi,

I know very little about RR shocks. Do they come "tuned" to match your Dobinsons springs (I'll be going w/the tapered version) & expected weight of vehicle or ???

Last edited:
On road the only place i'm feeling a real difference is in the corners. With a linear rate spring I feel like the truck is more predictable during cornering. With the dual rate you get an initial lean as mentioned previously in the post.

This post makes it sound like you first tried the linear rate Donbisons and now you have the dual rate Dobinson springs. However, I believe you went from OME to dual rate Dobinson springs, correct?

If i'm confused then others might be too!

This post makes it sound like you first tried the linear rate Donbisons and now you have the dual rate Dobinson springs. However, I believe you went from OME to dual rate Dobinson springs, correct?

If i'm confused then others might be too!

On the first page first post you can see my old setup. Linear rate OME springs.

Are the MRR's adjustable ?? Any Pic's of the 80 Series MRR's ?

The current models are not. However, @David Otero has said they are working on an adjustable. I believe @FloridaFJ80 has the MRR on his rig but i'm not sure much else about his setup. Maybe he will post here.

@LFD2037 I wish you would make the jump on that suspension setup so you can give me some feedback ;) My guess would be that the shocks are valved to the springs and weight of the 80 and are probably very good. $2200 is a kick ass deal for RR and a dual rate spring though.

I'm going to NYC for 9/11 Memorial on 9/11 and going deer hunting in Minnesota this November so I'll have to wait till after that to see how much play money I have left. It sounds like a sick set-up, though!

I know that my rig is 5800lbs without me in it. That's with the rear bumper loaded with spare tire, hi-lift and 10gallons of fuel. At that weight it sits perfectly level. I would guess I'm loading about 400lbs of gear at least in the back when I go on trips. These particular springs are rated at 100 kg additional load so I think they are about on the mark with that.

5800 Lbs is way too light, you need to add some weight. My svelt girl is 7,000lbs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom