Dobinson rear bumper install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I received my Dobinson rear bumper and started the install today. Besides the fact the order was missing some hardware and side bumper support brackets, the instructions that come with it are utter garbage. Just a parts diagram.

With thy being said, I have couple questions:

1) Did anyone drill the third hole hole on the frame for the support brackets? I did not know it required drilling two holes, I thought it was a complete bolt on. Looking at it though I am not sure why it would be needed.

2) What do most people us for power of rear taillights and reverse light? Tap the trailer plug?

3) I am going to just get the screws on hand tight until I get the whole thing mounted and centered; then tighten down. Anyone run in to issues with accessing a bolt later on with this method?

I think that’s a pretty rare bumper on this forum as it’s a heavy full replacement. I think only a few members had it. Might reach out to Dobinson directly or whoever you bought from. Here’s a small thread on it:

It’s sooooo ugly though 🙃

1676869643967.jpeg

I was thinking about getting a Dobinsons rear bumper. Do the wing brackets seem sturdy? Got any pics?
So the kit was missing the wing brackets when sent. I reached out to the company and they are sending some out, they should actually arrive today. I’ll let you know when I see them.

I do have to admit; now that I have it on, it is a chunky little beast. Maybe not for everyone’s taste but it does seem pretty solid so far and I like that I didn’t have to cut a bumper.

So the kit was missing the wing brackets when sent. I reached out to the company and they are sending some out, they should actually arrive today. I’ll let you know when I see them.

I do have to admit; now that I have it on, it is a chunky little beast. Maybe not for everyone’s taste but it does seem pretty solid so far and I like that I didn’t have to cut a bumper.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my rear bumper. I have a steel bracket/aluminum shell bumper from RLC on there currently. I cut too much bumper cover when I was installing it, so it doesn't look great. I like that it's really light and out of the way. I'm not impressed with the wing brackets, but I guess it's good enough because it protected my sheet metal a few times now.
The Dobinsons rear is appealing because:
  1. it's a full replacement, so I won't need to buy a new bumper cover. The victory 4x4 rear bumper goes up high enough that that I can reuse my bumper cover, but I've heard they're a little flimsy. I haven't installed the "good driver mod" yet, so I need something that can take some whacks.
  2. Comes with fuel can carrier for a reasonable price. I did two weeks or overlanding and range was always a concern.
  3. the aussies seem to have the best offroad stuff
  4. it's heavy, so it'll help the truck ride better (stupid I know). My truck isn't very heavy, and I think that the springs that came with my BP51 are too stiff for my current setup. I'd hate to add weight to the truck because I did a poor job setting up my suspension.
So that's where I'm at, and that's why I'm interested in this chunky son-of-a-gun rear bumper.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my rear bumper. I have a steel bracket/aluminum shell bumper from RLC on there currently. I cut too much bumper cover when I was installing it, so it doesn't look great. I like that it's really light and out of the way. I'm not impressed with the wing brackets, but I guess it's good enough because it protected my sheet metal a few times now.
The Dobinsons rear is appealing because:
  1. it's a full replacement, so I won't need to buy a new bumper cover. The victory 4x4 rear bumper goes up high enough that that I can reuse my bumper cover, but I've heard they're a little flimsy. I haven't installed the "good driver mod" yet, so I need something that can take some whacks.
  2. Comes with fuel can carrier for a reasonable price. I did two weeks or overlanding and range was always a concern.
  3. the aussies seem to have the best offroad stuff
  4. it's heavy, so it'll help the truck ride better (stupid I know). My truck isn't very heavy, and I think that the springs that came with my BP51 are too stiff for my current setup. I'd hate to add weight to the truck because I did a poor job setting up my suspension.
So that's where I'm at, and that's why I'm interested in this chunky son-of-a-gun rear bumper.
Let me get the side wings on and I will take pics. I just checked fed ex and it looks like it’s been delayed at least a day.

Couple things to consider:
1) you mentioned it already but it’s heavy. I have stock suspension and I am going to need to go with heavier springs.

2) the instructions suck, if you are a diy kind of person you’ll figure it out. But I had some brackets missing. The instructions reference hardware was hat didn’t come in the bag, but the hardware bag had extra hardware. Theres not instructions, just a pets breakout diagram of the rear bumper. The swing out arms, jerrycan and spare tire I had to figure out what went where.

3) I thought it was a complete replacement. It is, but it isn’t. If you looks at the above pic there is a plastic trim piece that goes right under the rear taillight. Mine came warped and I am figuring out out to fix that. I am thinking heat gun.

4) I had to find wiring break down from a rando website. Came with no instructions on what wire did what.

5) I hadn’t thought about this till after installing the bumper, but the tolerance is very tight between the metal side wings and the rear quarter panels. It definitely seems strong and spout, but a big enough hit and the bumper has potentially become a damage multiplier. Maybe it’s not really a concern? If the hit is that bad your car is probably totaled anyways? Idk. Well hopefully never have to find out.

6) there are two holes that need to be drilled. I didn’t know that. I skipped it as there are about 7 (per side) other connection points over the stock set up

7) I am working this with the dealer right now. I’m the bumper is advertised as compatible from 2008-2021. It’s not 100%. The parking sensors size changed with the 2013 face lift. I have a 2011. He sensor size went from big to small. So I have the big sensors and it’s sized for the small. They claimed they were unaware. 🤷‍♂️. My option at this point is probably return or wallow out hole with a die grinder. I feel like I shouldn’t have to do that on a $2400 bumper.

8) the powder coating seems to be of poor quality. Just wrenching the bolts made some chip off in some places.

Overall, I like the concept. It’s heavy, and chunky. I feel better thought that my family will be protected daily driving it because of that. I just wish the support was better and more here was more info out there one the small things pointed out above.

I was in a similar situation to yours. My rear bumper was toast due to a fender bender. The damage was too high to get the other bumpers that require cutting the stock one. So I went with this due to the “full” replacement, parking sensor compatibility, and both swing outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom