Dobinson Drawers (Install) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just received my Dobinsons Drawers (with Wings.) I know some of you have installed these. Any tricks or tips to think about would be helpful as a tackle the project this weekend. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Chad
San Antonio, Tx.

DBD1.jpg

DBD2.jpg

I’ve got a set of these waiting to be installed. Would like to hear installation tips too. How did your install go?

This is from another thread...

“I bought the Dobinson a few months ago. Install was typical, 4 times longer than I estimated or a pro would take (which is my "normal"). I liked that the Dobinson came assembled, as it gave me a mental picture of what the finished product needed to look like - you will take these apart somewhat to get the mounting bracket installed, and then put the drawers in.

A few mods I had to do which I felt like, with better planning on the OE's part, shouldn't have been necessary:

1) I had to drill extra holes in the mounting ribs. Not the biggest deal, but when you are 6 hours into a 2 hour project, just adds frustration
2) They weren't drop in, I had to "trim" the plastic wheel well covers on the inside of the vehicle - which involved laying the whole drawer kit inside at an angle (I tried to shove it down, just wouldn't work), using a pencil to trace out where I'd need to cut, then carefully, with a battery saws-all, cut plastic out while trying to save the insulation. It took 2 or 3 trims per side, as I wanted it to look as good as possible. After one side was done, I repeated this process on the other side. Not a one man job, but my 15 year old daughter is awesome. We probably took the assembled drawer kit in and out 10 times or more, trying to get it just right.
3) the side panels don't close well, and the right side (looking from the rear) doesn't close at all. If I had waited to the very end to torque everything, I may have been able to prevent this - however, I waited as long as I thought i could on several screws/bolts. I need to find a latching system that I can put on the outside of the lid, that attaches the vertical wall underneath it.

Having said all this, the drawers are great, super sturdy, and I'd buy them again. The side panels are big enough to put something significant in, so the left side is going to be LiPO4 battery system area, which is the side the slider is on and will be convenient to the fridge (that post is coming later).

In terms of what I wish the had - I wish there was a drop in kit for one drawer to be kitchen - i.e. popup stove, easy to clean panels, etc - but I'll eventually figure out something, I've got a couple relatively cheap ideas to make that work.”

Had a set of Dobinson’s drawers installed yesterday. Impressed with how well made and how solid they are. One question the hook(s) that I have highlighted make it very tough to access the side/wing panels. Do you know how/if these come off?
B819CBF5-64D6-42FA-B218-7FCF022CC4E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, just twist and pull.
Perfect. Thanks!

Rotate 90 degrees first then pull.

Those drawers look like they sit a bit lower than the ARB drawers. The top of my ARB drawers are about in line with that clip.

And the ARB drawers sit about 3-4" further forward, or at least there is a 3-4" gap between the drawer and tailgate when closed. Curious how much space you will have between the drawer and seat back when installed.

My 2013 LC does not look like that in the rear. The hooks are further back. They do not come in contact.

CL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom