Do Low Profile Sliders Exist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my spare time, I've been researching products to upgrade my 200 with. Maybe my Google-foo is not so good, but I cannot find a low profile rock slider for the 200 series. This is the best I can come up with, and it still sticks out further than I prefer.

There's a bunch of low profile sliders made for Jeeps, and here's an example of one...

Screenshot_20221218-071525~2.png

I would even prefer a lower profile than the picture. Bonus would be a set that follows the contour shape of the rocker from wheel well to wheel well.

Am I only dreaming?

What’s your use case? I like the stealth look of the BB rails but there is less rocker protection. Still a lot better than nothing. My Slee sliders function as a step and I have a lot of deep gouges on the side of the sliders. The rocks I’ve hit would have been into the rocker plastic with the rails.

Plus I believe that jeep application has the slider attach to the body itself due to the unibody construction. On a cruiser the slider must attach to the frame and the natural movement between the frame and body requires significantly more gap than in your jeep picture.

Plus I believe that jeep application has the slider attach to the body itself due to the unibody construction. On a cruiser the slider must attach to the frame and the natural movement between the frame and body requires significantly more gap than in your jeep picture.

Ooof - hope you don't offend any Jeep guys with that unibody comment. Yes, there are some, but the ones worth talking about are all body on frame.

Jeeps do have more variation in slider styles, both frame mounted and body mounted types, depending on how hardcore they're building. They're generally lighter platforms and can probably get away with some body mounted styles.

IIRC, the 100-series had a body mounted option. Don't know if it still exists, but pretty sure there aren't any for the 200-series.

For an lx, you could ask Tko to leave the outward welded bits off and just leave the ahc component cage portion in place.

For a land cruiser you might find some similar upswept ones and request the outward bits just not be welded on..

Or just take an angle grinder and remove the extended portions you don’t like.

6E7FCA93-B933-41EE-95CB-28A9CE1F5AB0.png

Ooof - hope you don't offend any Jeep guys with that unibody comment. Yes, there are some, but the ones worth talking about are all body on frame.

Jeeps do have more variation in slider styles, both frame mounted and body mounted types, depending on how hardcore they're building. They're generally lighter platforms and can probably get away with some body mounted styles.

IIRC, the 100-series had a body mounted option. Don't know if it still exists, but pretty sure there aren't any for the 200-series.
I would definitely want frame mounted.

My 21 Tundra had body mounted step bars, and removing those was the first thing I did to it.

I think Jeep Wrangler rubicons have body mounted sliders rather than frame because it’s cheaper. They probably did the homework and decided it would work.

Most fabricators err on the side of frame mounted, I think, because they’re technically stronger than body.

That said, in some applications, body mounted sliders aren’t a bad option. I saw a power wagon on YouTube a while back that had body rather than frame mounted sliders. I think the guy understood them as not quite as strong, but that they worked for his uses so he made a compromise.

I was thinking of that specific grand Cherokee application, but yes there is some variability in mounting styles.

Personally if the vehicle is light enough and the body itself has the needed strength to mount sliders there I don’t see a problem at all. But neither of those conditions are the reality for a 200.

I was thinking of that specific grand Cherokee application, but yes there is some variability in mounting styles.

Personally if the vehicle is light enough and the body itself has the needed strength to mount sliders there I don’t see a problem at all. But neither of those conditions are the reality for a 200.

I walk my comment back. The XJ is the rare legit unibody off-roader. Agreed weight isn't on our side.

What’s your use case? I like the stealth look of the BB rails but there is less rocker protection. Still a lot better than nothing. My Slee sliders function as a step and I have a lot of deep gouges on the side of the sliders. The rocks I’ve hit would have been into the rocker plastic with the rails.
My only need or want is protection on the bottom. I hate step bars. They came off both of the trucks I own/owned. Had a set on a F-350 work truck. It was terrible. In the Winter, they would just get layers of ice built up on them, in the Spring they would build up with mud, rendering them useless. And everytime I would get out of the truck, I'd get a streak of mud on my pants because I couldn't use them as a step bar because they were too slippery.

I'm glad my LCs have grab handles on the driver's side pillars. Why is that soo rare? I hate having to grab the steering wheel on my other vehicle's.

Last edited:
Rocky Road makes some stealth sliders for the 200

So far that's the best option I've seen. I'll have to reach out to them to see if they would fab them tucked in a little more, and then I'd have the ends bent out to match the contour of the LC rockers.

The point @bloc made is one to consider. If you tuck anything attached tight to the frame up against the body, you are asking for trouble because they both move independently. This is readily apparent if you observe the bar of a bullbar on a 200 while driving down corrugated roads. Sliders for the 200 must attach to the frame to work effectively. You'll find several options that are more tucked, but personally, I'd stay away from anything that is tight against the rocker.

I think Jeep Wrangler rubicons have body mounted sliders rather than frame because it’s cheaper. They probably did the homework and decided it would work.

Most fabricators err on the side of frame mounted, I think, because they’re technically stronger than body.

That said, in some applications, body mounted sliders aren’t a bad option. I saw a power wagon on YouTube a while back that had body rather than frame mounted sliders. I think the guy understood them as not quite as strong, but that they worked for his uses so he made a compromise.

You're likely talking about body mounted sliders by Randy Ellis Designs for the Power Wagon. They rivet to the body and the pinch seam. They are quite strong and offer a much lower profile than a frame mounted style that would sit much lower. I am almost bought a set for my Power Wagon when I had it but I ultimately couldn't bring myself to do it. Frame mounted is usually stronger but they also have their own set of integrity drawbacks as well which vary widely by platform and design.

I think I just got sold on these budbuilt rock rails. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for asking the question OP.

Anyone have a coupon code for budbuilt?

Side note, browsing mud is bad for the bank account.....and a reminder that i have very poor self control wrt the cruiser.

If you ever, even once, scrape your 200 across a ledge, boulder, tree, or other obstacle, you will be happy that you opted for a set of frame mounted sliders. They will pay for themselves.

I think I just got sold on these budbuilt rock rails. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for asking the question OP.

Anyone have a coupon code for budbuilt?

Side note, browsing mud is bad for the bank account.....and a reminder that i have very poor self control wrt the cruiser.
Did you end up getting these? I am looking at ordering either a set of these or some slee steps and calling it a day. I don't need super robust protection with my use case and would prefer something low profile and aesthetically pleasing. I can make due without a step but I am considering Slee since they have them in stock and it gives me a reason to make a trip to Colorado. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom