Do I want an 80 series ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this a problem ? I am a little over 6'1

I have a spare set of Landtank seat extension brackets, they give you a little more room. I'm 6'2" and it was fine before, better after. I finally landed a pair of Scheelmann seats for other reasons, those go waaaaay back. You should be fine but if not you can always get some Planted adapters and pick or buy some other seats and bolt them on. Many options, broad price range.

I love my 80 (and all of the above)

1993 and 1994 are nearly identical. Big 442 tranny and bigger engine in those two years. Both would be a good choice.
My only bag dealio on the '93 is the early ECU.

I love the real tailgate as opposed to the large hatch on most SUV's.
Very capable in snow.[/QUOTE

And holds two guys like a sturdy park bench. Together my son and I weigh in at 470# and that tailgate makes a great lunch place.

6940A55F-A3EB-425F-A9D3-4F9EE42F0A9F.jpeg

59B3EE2F-DA4C-4CFD-8538-7C6C390F1ACC.jpeg

And what is it LS1FJ40?

Wine and cheese? I thought he was asking about 80s not 100s or 200s... Only whiskey or beer allowed in the 80 section!

IF you have the part.

True. But they are fairly easy to find. Most were replaced already. Plenty of wrecked 93/94 out there with the good ECU.

And what is it LS1FJ40?

The early 93s had a bad ECU. I don't have the part number off hand but it is easily searchable. Swap in the newer ECU and all is good. Should be able to find a good ECU for around $100 or less. Not a bad idea to have a spare ECU for any 80 series since the ECU are gone Johnson and there aren't aftermarket ECUs available.

...An 80 is all about smiles per gallon.

...Personally I even enjoy seeing the damn thing sit. Its still cool as hell. I like to drink beer and look at it especially when its dismantled so I can see other stuff behind the stuff...

The above sums up a lot of my motivation for ownership. Fun to drive, fun to work on. I think somebody around here said "life's too short to drive boring vehicles" :).

The above sums up a lot of my motivation for ownership. Fun to drive, fun to work on. I think somebody around here said "life's too short to drive boring vehicles" :).

My 92 has cost be $205 per month to own it since new. This includes the initial purchase price and all maintenance (not mods unless they were “needed” like tires and shocks).

You can’t buy a Corolla for $205/month.

Every time I drive one of my 80s, I smile.

You don't want an 80series,

80 series wants you!

Just surrender to the inevitable :lol:

Fun to drive, fun to work on. I think somebody around here said "life's too short to drive boring vehicles" :).

I've slowly come to the same conclusion. Been driving a s***box Ford sedan for a few years to try and save some money and pay off my university fees, haven't had an 80 for about 8years, and my HZJ105, is comatose in the garage as a slow moving project (damn college fees!!).
Been thinking its time for an 80 again. There's almost nothing I can't fix myself, I enjoy working on them, I enjoyed driving my old one, and having a s***box sedan severely hampers my outdoorsy lifestyle.

Wine and cheese? I thought he was asking about 80s not 100s or 200s... Only whiskey or beer allowed in the 80 section!

True. But they are fairly easy to find. Most were replaced already. Plenty of wrecked 93/94 out there with the good ECU.

The early 93s had a bad ECU. I don't have the part number off hand but it is easily searchable. Swap in the newer ECU and all is good. Should be able to find a good ECU for around $100 or less. Not a bad idea to have a spare ECU for any 80 series since the ECU are gone Johnson and there aren't aftermarket ECUs available.[/QUOTE

You caught me. But it was really good wine in Montana griz country Thanksgiving morning. Wanted to attract a few dear, eh ah.... deer!

Sleepless nights pondering the philosophical question "Which year is the best year?"

easily the 92, an obvious answer for special needs, such as never worrying about a blown head gasket. very true it's not as fast as the 4.5 fzj but the 3FE is a beast in the woods, a true tractor engine mated to a bus tranny. I don't worry about getting anywhere at 80mph, 70 is plenty for me. it more than makes up for road speed by it's off road absolute durability. only my two

Also thanks guys for all of the answers it gives me a lot to ponder during my search. I realize I passed one in a parking lot that is stock and thought about leaving a note on the window

I like to play devil's advocate and go against the norm...

When you really think about it, would you have gotten an 80 series if it weren't for the solid front axle and optional lockers? I probably wouldn't have. Solid axle aside, I think there's plenty other more sensible choices with better power and fuel economy that are far more comfortable than an 80 series.

If IFS first appeared in the 80 series - what would you be driving today? Still an 80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom