Do I want an 80 series ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking at Land Cruisers and have been thinking that I want an 80 series. Is there any reason not to?

Yes.

One does not simply "want" an 80...the 80 must choose you.

The reasons not to are simply put by others on this thread. Just like the recent spike in the 60 series, I think the 80 is about to be the last collectible land cruiser because of it's bones. A stock 1997 will be worth some money someday, last year model with solid axle, full float rear axle, factory lockers, straight 6.

Been looking at Land Cruisers and have been thinking that I want an 80 series. Is there any reason not to?
What do you want to do with it? How will it primarily be used? There’s lots of good reasons to have one, just a few not to.

I've owned a 40 series and now an 80. The 80 is my favorite but the 40 series was the best looking. But I daily drive the 80. I don't pull with it because I have a truck as well. Gas mileage sucks but you don't buy an 80 for gas mileage. That's what cars are for. It's capable, and most of all the wife and kids enjoy going out of town in it.

Do you ‘want’ an 80 or ‘need’ an 80 ? Serious question !

I need an 80 and I will suffer, see posts above, to keep one in my stable. Only you can tell.....

An 80 is all about smiles per gallon.

I wanted an 80 for years. A divorce put my dream on hold. When I finally got one it totally exceeded my expectations. 2 years later and no regrets.

The reason not to is if you think it will be fast, or if it will be your daily and you have a very long commute and an excessive fuel bill will crush you.

Do you ‘want’ an 80 or ‘need’ an 80 ? Serious question !

I need an 80 and I will suffer, see posts above, to keep one in my stable. Only you can tell.....

I don't need one. I like to go off road occasionally . If I want to tow heavy stuff I have an F-250. It is old enough to nickel and dime me to death. I have no problem pulling wrenches if needed. I want to be able to take me my GF and the dogs and go off road.

80s ride great and are super robust. 80s have live axles like old school iron but have all the handling issues worked out. You can jump them without bump steer! You get power windows, power seats, great heat and AC etc........ and sometimes locking differentials if you take your time finding the right 80. 80s have a nice and quiet ride to talk on your phone or listen to music while you're sneaking out of town instead of working.

If you are open minded about learning and want to wrench, you can figure out your mechanical issues and fix them for the cost of parts with help from these here mudders. They are expensive to run because of crappy mileage. It's a good second vehicle but if you're a one vehicle family, look out for expensive repair bills in the shop should anything need fixing (it will).

Look, lurk and by all means find a good 80 so you can join the cult!!! If money is an issue, apply yourself and increase your standing in life so you can cruise an 80!

Is there any real bad things to watch for ? Is a Lexus fair game as well or are the outcast of series 80's ?

Do you like grease? is your favorite cologne diff oil? if the answer is yes, then get out there and find a good condition 80 series. Don't worry about lockers because there are aftermarket options that I think are better.

In my opinion the 80 series has been the automotive equivalent of granite. Over engineered because they expected them to live an operate in desolate areas with crap gas, awful maintenance and hard use.

Only if you have a graceful SO/wife & you aren't putting into service as a commuter car.

Otherwise you'll be divorced & bitchin' about MPG if gas prices spike.

Is there any real bad things to watch for ? Is a Lexus fair game as well or are the outcast of series 80's ?
I like to think the 80 compared to the Lexus version is like comparing me and to my cousin who is a little more sophisticated, we both played in the mud as kids as equals, but he always looked better in suit. just my 2 cents, I'm new here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom