DMG drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
II have been having a roar coming from my rear end between 30-60 mph. Removed drive shaft and I found that the rear part of the drive shaft that ties into the flang on the rear end was dmg and there was fresh metal shavings.
See the photos. I was going to have drive shaft balance but I think it is f... The shaft does not slid in and out smoothly and it is orginal to the vehicle.

Do I need to get a completely new shaft. Should the shaft slid in and out smoothly?
S5000515.jpg
S5000513.jpg

A few things first, that blue makes it a little hard to read against the gray background (maybe just my computer) and the pictures are too blurry to show the flange (the floor is in perfect focus though :) ).

If that is the flange that connects to the rear differential, I would be more concerned about what caused it before replacing the drive shaft. Were the bolts loose? Is the pinion nut tight?

check your pinion nut, then take a file to the flange and make sure it sits flat.

my guess your pinion nut is loose(why its hitting only one side, I don't know?)

weird

I just think it is werid that I had this roar in the rear end and the slip yokes do not seem to be working and there is dmg to the flang. THe nuts on the rear end seem tight.

I just think it is werid that I had this roar in the rear end and the slip yokes do not seem to be working and there is dmg to the flang. THe nuts on the rear end seem tight.

There is only one pinion nut on the end of your pinion. The poster above is telling you to make sure it is torqued to the proper value. If this nut comes loose very bad things happen in your differential. From your pictures it would appear this may be the case.

Shaft

The shaft does not compress and it only extends a couple of inches.

I think I just need to sh.t can the drive shaft.

hey clayton,

could this have happened when the shop reinstalled the driveshaft?
i remember you mentioning they had to force it, right?

malphrus

NOTES

They did have to force it but I does not slide in and out like the shaft should. I drove the truck without the shaft and everything worked fine. I think my slip yokes and the internals are shot due to lack of mantaince by prior owner and my inattention. Taking it to a drive shaft shop today to have him look at it.
Any idea or suggestions

xwhatever on pulling the zerk. It should allow enough grease to escape so you can see if the shaft is compressing or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom