Dizzy cap and button (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone in Bham have a spare dizzy cap and button for an F motor.? Would a 2F cap/button work.? For what it’s worth, I’ll take the whole dizzy if someone has one. Looking for one ASAP.
Thanks.!

Anyone in Bham have a spare dizzy cap and button for an F motor.? Would a 2F cap/button work.? For what it’s worth, I’ll take the whole dizzy if someone has one. Looking for one ASAP.
Thanks.!
I believe I’ve got a new cap in my garage. When you say button, do you mean rotor? I have a rotor as well.

I have a whole fj60 dizzy if you’re interested.
Are you having problems with yours now? Usually it’s the points (contact set) or condensor that wear out before the cap/ rotor. You can usually just clean off the corrosion on the cap/rotor and be good.

Last edited:
030F67A1-2C5C-47E4-8E25-48F088F91888.jpeg

Shop installed an MSD last fall...so I no longer have any points. Found a new cap at O’reilly’s this morning...but it didn’t do anything to solve the problem. Looks like I’ll need a complete distributor now. Where are you located, and what are you asking for the complete dizzy assembly.? Forgive my rookie question, but will a 60 dizzy work on my F motor.?

Shop installed an MSD last fall...so I no longer have any points. Found a new cap at O’reilly’s this morning...but it didn’t do anything to solve the problem. Looks like I’ll need a complete distributor now. Where are you located, and what are you asking for the complete dizzy assembly.? Forgive my rookie question, but will a 60 dizzy work on my F motor.?
Can you explain what issues/symptoms you’re having? Did it just start running bad one day, or was it after you changed/modified something?

No, a 60 dizzy will not bolt up. You have to either dent the side cover, or buy a side cover off a 60. The 60 dizzy is larger and will not mount up to a stock F or earlier 2F.
I’m in Cahaba Heights, happy to take a look at it and help you troubleshoot.

Can you explain what issues/symptoms you’re having? Did it just start running bad one day, or was it after you changed/modified something?

No, a 60 dizzy will not bolt up. You have to either dent the side cover, or buy a side cover off a 60. The 60 dizzy is larger and will not mount up to a stock F or earlier 2F.
I’m in Cahaba Heights, happy to take a look at it and help you troubleshoot.
Had a blown head gasket on a fairly recent PO head rebuild. The shop replaced the HG, but in doing so, it exposed another issue with my spark. There’s a chance I’ve been running with 1-2 fouled cylinders right before the HG fatally blew. Shop thinks the electronic ignition they installed last fall might have contributed to an issue. Spark is going through the wires for 2 and 6...but it’s weak, and they can’t get all cylinders to fire well/adjust timing. I’m no wrencher, by any stretch. Shop thinks that an entire new dizzy assembly might solve the issue. I haven’t driven her since Feb 29th, and I’m just getting antsy. We can order a new dizzy from somewhere, but it’ll take a while to get here and that’s killing me. They’re checking number 2’s valves now...it’s got 115 psi where the rest are around 160-170 psi...maybe the valve is sticking, which could be part of the issue as well, but the spark is still weak from dizzy on 2 and 6.
I’m basically just relaying info from the shop...probably poorly.

Had a blown head gasket on a fairly recent PO head rebuild. The shop replaced the HG, but in doing so, it exposed another issue with my spark. There’s a chance I’ve been running with 1-2 fouled cylinders right before the HG fatally blew. Shop thinks the electronic ignition they installed last fall might have contributed to an issue. Spark is going through the wires for 2 and 6...but it’s weak, and they can’t get all cylinders to fire well/adjust timing. I’m no wrencher, by any stretch. Shop thinks that an entire new dizzy assembly might solve the issue. I haven’t driven her since Feb 29th, and I’m just getting antsy. We can order a new dizzy from somewhere, but it’ll take a while to get here and that’s killing me. They’re checking number 2’s valves now...it’s got 115 psi where the rest are around 160-170 psi...maybe the valve is sticking, which could be part of the issue as well, but the spark is still weak from dizzy on 2 and 6.
I’m basically just relaying info from the shop...probably poorly.
A lot of this story doesn’t add up to me. Adding an electronic ignition should not have lead to a blown HG (unless the timing was set extremely advanced and would cause other issues). Who did the HG and ignition work?

Before the HG blew you would definitely be able to tell if it was running on 4 of The 6 cylinders. Could you tell anything was wrong?

If the spark from 2 and 6 is weak (I’m not sure how they tested this), then I would change plugs and wires on those 2 to see if it helps.

What kind of dizzy is in the truck now? Stock?

A lot of this story doesn’t add up to me. Adding an electronic ignition should not have lead to a blown HG (unless the timing was set extremely advanced and would cause other issues). Who did the HG and ignition work?

Before the HG blew you would definitely be able to tell if it was running on 4 of The 6 cylinders. Could you tell anything was wrong?

If the spark from 2 and 6 is weak (I’m not sure how they tested this), then I would change plugs and wires on those 2 to see if it helps.

What kind of dizzy is in the truck now? Stock?
Stock dizzy in there now. The electronic ignition and HG are totally separate issues, they think the MSD might have harmed the dizzy from how it was set from the PO. HG blew fatally Feb 29...but I’d been going through coolant for about 10 days prior, HG was replaced/fixed 3 days ago. Shop thinks that by fixing the HG and getting proper compression across all six exposed a timing issue. They think that the PO knew a cylinder or two was foulIng and had ran the idling way up so it sounded good and was smooth to compensate. When HG was fixed, the idling was so high it sounded like it was about to throw a rod. They’re having a hard time getting the timing dialed-in and believe the dizzy itself could be bad. Low spark on 2 and 4 coming from dizzy, they’ve obviously changed wires/plugs. I just ordered an HEI distributor last night, a D.U.I single wire setup for F and 2F engines. They’ll drop that in when it arrives...hopefully that’ll solve the issue.
I’m no wrencher, but I’ve had a ton of work done by these guys for 7 years on 4 vehicles...always happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom